Sunday 8 November 2020

Floundering In Lockdown 2.0

I don't quite know what to say. Lockdown 2.0 is here in the UK and it's only for a month. Not much has changed for me really. My husband is still going to work, my boy is still at school and yet I am in a swirly whirly pool of quicksand.

But I'm also like a jitterbug, can't sit still, can't focus, can't get to the bottom of my to-do list. I haven't even written my to-do list down, it's so long. It's like a litany in my head that rolls around and around and around. Every day I forget a new thing that I was meant to do and every day I think back to all the things I used to be able to do. I was like a machine. I got it done. 

How can I be stuck and jittery at the same time? And why do I feel like an ice cream cake that's been left out too long on the side on the hottest day of the year? Yes, I've been watching Bake Off. 

I think I need a break. It would be nice to open a door, step through and just take a time out. Of course, as a mum, that's impossible. We can never fully escape everything. 

But I have made a decision. I will be shutting down for Christmas. Sounds a bit melodramatic, doesn't it? Obviously, I won't personally be shutting down. I've got two kids so somehow I've got to find all my sparkly Christmas mojo. I'm hoping I packed it away with the tinsel. 

I feel I should be rallying more. I should be pulling out all the stops for my kids and making their Christmas as magical as possible but I just don't have the sprinkles. Maybe a little baking will help...

Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you've got this! You have always had a flair for making Christmas magical. Stick on your woolly bear, have a hot cup of tea and relax. All of those things you forgot to do will be there when you have finished your time out. As I always say, there is a reason they tell you to put your face mask on before helping others in the flight safety videos, if you don't look after yourself then how are you going to help anyone else!! Take care.

    ReplyDelete