Wednesday 26 October 2022

A Slice of Cake With... Emma Robinson

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Emma Robinson. 

Emma is a USA Today Bestseller with a passion for stories which explore the power of family and friendship in the most challenging circumstances. Whilst her early novels are humorous; her recent work focuses on emotional themes and these novels are both heart-breaking and life affirming.
She currently lives in Essex, England with a husband, two children and a small black dog.

What kind of books do you write?

All of my books explore the power of family and female friendship to get us through the toughest times. My characters are usually facing a big decision and have to dig deep within themselves to find the way forward. Being dilemma-led, they also ask a question which makes the reader consider what they would do in the same situation. Most reviewers say that my books make them cry, but also smile and are always uplifting by the end. 

Can you describe your writing why?

This is a tough question! I was always an avid reader as a child and writing my own stories felt natural to me. Often, writing is a kind of therapy. My first novel (The Undercover Mother) came out of my frustrations of early motherhood when I felt as if everyone knew what they were doing except me. Even now, I will get to the end of a first draft and realise that – beneath the surface of the plot – I was working something out that had been affecting me in real life. Someone once said ‘Reading is breathing in, and writing is breathing out’. For me, this sums it up perfectly.


Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

It’s tricky to select a paragraph because my favourite paragraphs are usually those with a big reveal and I don’t want to give any twists away! Instead, I’ve chose this from My Silent Daughter because I feel like it captured my own emotions about my children growing up. Sara is an artist, so she often expresses her thoughts as colours and shades.

Steps. Stages. Milestones. The books tell you what to expect, but they don’t tell you how you might feel. The creeping anxiety if they haven’t got a tooth yet, or smiled, or spoken, or taken a step. The relief when they do and then the… sadness? No, that wasn’t quite right. It wasn’t sadness. It didn’t make you feel blue. More… turquoise. Pride tinged with nostalgia. Happiness tinted with fear. Love shaded with loss.

Tell us about your latest project

To Save My Child is about single mother Anna and her six-year-old daughter Libby. Anna has recently escaped from a bad marriage and is starting to get her life back on track. When Libby is taken ill and needs a life saving transplant, she has no choice but to contact the man who nearly destroyed her: Libby’s father. Because if there’s a chance to save your daughter’s life, wouldn’t you do whatever it takes? It explores coercive control and the self-sacrificing love of a parent.


Since Emma's original interview for my blog, she has released two more books. Only For My Daugher was released in April 2022. Here's the blurb:

I look at my lovely girl. The child I always promised to keep safe, the child I know I’d love no matter what. I look at her and in that moment, my heart breaks into pieces. Because right now, I am not sure I know her at all…

Julia’s daughter Grace is her whole world. To Julia, she’ll always be the little girl who would put her tiny hand in hers, who she could heal with the smallest kiss, who would trust her mother with everything.

But Grace has changed since becoming a teenager. She’s fallen out with her childhood best friend and has become quiet and distanced. Julia wants more than anything to find a way reach her only daughter. Even if some days it seems impossible, Julia knows her lovely, sunny girl is still in there.

Until today when Grace came home after school, covered in blood, and she’s refusing to speak, except to acknowledge that her former best friend is lying in a coma in hospital.

Julia is forced to ask herself: what could Grace be hiding? She can’t believe her little girl could have done something terrible. But her instincts tell her that Grace is keeping a secret. And if it’s what Julia fears it might be, she could lose her fragile, gentle daughter forever.

And – as another mother’s daughter fights for her life – Julia will have to ask herself, how far would she go as a mother to protect the child she loves with her whole heart? 


To Be A Mother was released October 2022. Here's the blurb:

What if your only chance to be a mother was to give birth to his first wife’s child?

All I’ve ever wanted is to be a mother. And since I married David, it’s gone from being a dream of mine, to a dream of ours. And I want it for him too – it’s the happy-ever-after he deserves after the tragic loss of his first wife, Katherine.

We have tried and we’ve hoped. But today I’ve just found out it’s impossible. That I’m unable to become a mother. My heart breaking into thousands of pieces, I beg the doctor to tell me there’s another way.

But it’s David who speaks. Telling me that just before Katherine died, she had gone through fertility treatment. Now her eggs legally belong to David. To us.

It could be my only chance to be the mother I’ve always longed to be… But can I really carry his first wife’s baby?


What is your favourite cake?

Lemon Drizzle – but it has to be REALLY lemony!


You can connect with Emma here:

Twitter: @emmarobinsonuk
Instagram: @emmarobinsonuk

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Lisa Stanbridge. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours through Kofi and buy me virtual tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment