Wednesday 5 October 2022

A Slice of Cake With... Wendy Noble

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Wendy Noble. 

Wendy writes fiction, reviews children’s literature, and has had articles, interviews, and short stories published in a number of magazines. She also edits manuscripts: fiction and memoirs.

What kind of books do you write?

I write adventure stories, with the main character having the ability to communicate with all animals and birds. Others in his world can ‘speak’ with some creatures but he is the only one, as far as he knows, who can speak with all. This is because he can speak with dragons. Although there are many instances of cruelty and some violence in my stories, there are also plenty of moments which are light-hearted. Most of the fun comes from the animals; in particular the very “Aussie” camels, some seriously depressed griven (oxen) and an egocentric raven. 

The stories are aimed at high school age and up, but I’ve discovered that my readers range from age 10 to nearly 80. When I began the Beast-Speaker series I had only intended to write two, dealing with the issue of child soldiers. However, readers seemed to enjoy the stories and I was pressured to continue the adventure. I’ve recently finished the fourth in my duo and am planning the fifth.

Can you describe your writing why?

I have always been a passionate reader and love being drawn into other lives and worlds. I believe that storytelling is part of humanity’s DNA. I used to say, “One day I’ll write a book” but never got around to it. Then, I had breast cancer and I decided it was high time I got on with it. I didn’t want to die wondering, “What if I’d written that book?” My stories reflect my love of animals, my compassion for the vulnerable and suffering people in the world, and my desire to encourage people to be strong even when the world tells them that they’re weak.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

The wulver shrugged and walked over to a fallen log lying not far from the entrance to his cave. ‘At least, unlike so many, she doesn’t recoil in fear. Neither do you. Why is that?’

He sat down and patted the space next to him. I quickly complied. 

‘When I only had thirteen years,’ I said, ‘I was stolen from my home by a Midrashi agent. He was collecting children to serve in their army. While I was there, I soon discovered that there are monsters in this world.’

He shifted a little away from me and turned his attention to some obscure point in the surrounding hills.

I continued. ‘A lot of people think that if something is ugly, or fierce-looking, or just a different species, then they should be afraid. They call the biggest and the strangest, monsters.’ He nodded. ‘That’s what most people think of the dragons.’ 

Mac sighed. ‘And of me.’ He turned to look at me. ‘But you don’t.’

‘Midrash taught me one of the most valuable lessons in my life. I learned that the real monsters in this world aren’t dragons, or wolves, or even spiders. The real monsters are people with wicked hearts.’

Tell us about your latest project

In my latest novel, the Commander of Seddon is being slowly poisoned by an unknown assassin. An old healer, a wulver, has the secret of the cure. On their way to the healer, Seeger and his friends must deal with slave-traders who try to steal Maraed, Seeger’s girl-friend; a flash-flood; a mad archer, and the depths of an abandoned copper mine. 

I was intrigued by stories from the Shetland Islands, concerning a wulver: half man, half wolf, and a little bit of something else. Unlike most legendary monsters, the wulver is kind. He leaves gifts of fresh fish for poor families and often guides the lost back to safety. I decided I had to find a way to include him in my stories and Beast-Speaker: Dead Man’s Fingers, is the result. 

What is your favourite cake?

I’ll never refuse a slice of chocolate Bavarian cake, with a luscious layer of cherries and cream and shards of chocolate on the top.

You can connect with Wendy on her website wendynoble.com and on Facebook: AuthorWendyNoble.

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Stephen Hall. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours through Kofi and help fuel the creativity - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me

No comments:

Post a Comment