Wednesday 13 October 2021

A Slice of Cake With... Florence Keeling

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Florence Keeling.

Florence was born in Coventry but now lives in Nuneaton. She married the love of her life over 20 years ago and have two almost grown-up children. They share their lives with two mad dogs as well. Writing is a great passion of hers, that one day she hopes to be able to turn it into a career but until that day comes, she will continue working in accounts and payroll.

Florence also writes for children as Lily Mae Walters. A Little in Love was her first novel to be published with Simon and Schuster and she's excited for everyone to meet The Weddington gang.

What kind of books do you write?

I write so many types of books, I never know exactly what genre they will be until the characters have told me. I am currently concentrating on feel-good love stories with real likeable characters and happily ever afters. I feel that’s what we need at the moment after the past eighteen months.

Can you describe your writing why?

Writing is an escape for me, I love nothing better than to sit and while away a few hours weaving stories and characters. I currently have two jobs and I’m hoping to one day be able to write for a living and this is a great motivation for me at the moment.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

I honestly don’t have a favourite book, I love all my books and enjoy writing them all equally, yes, some are harder but I enjoy the process immensely. 

Here is a scene from A Little in Love which publishes with Simon and Schuster Digital Originals on 21st September 2021.

I laughed when I wrote this and can just see Rose hopping on her bike and pedalling angrily away from James.
‘And what, may I ask, is so funny?’ She knew exactly what it was: everyone who heard her name for the first time thought it was hilarious.
‘Pedal,’ he said through his laughter. ‘Rose Pedal. Your name is Rose Pedal.’ 
‘Yes, I know my name.’ She started to pack the things back into the bike.
‘I thought it was Pedals and Prosecco because of the bike.’ He was still laughing.
‘It’s both.’ She angrily undid her apron, pulling at the knot, which unfortunately made it tighten even more. ‘Bastard thing.’
‘I thought you didn’t swear,’ he said, the laughter subsiding slightly. 
‘Let’s just say you bring out the worst in me.’ She pulled again at the knot before giving up completely and just pulling it over her head.
‘I’m sorry.’ He smiled. ‘But you have to admit, it’s a funny name.’
‘It is not a funny name,’ she retorted. ‘It’s just a name.’
‘Hey, I’ve had a thought.’ She paused in her packing for a moment. ‘If we got married, you’d be Rose Blume.’ The laughter returned, this time worse than before. Rose ignored him and continued with her packing.
By the time she’d finished, he was still laughing and had had to sit himself down on the floor.
‘I’d like to say it’s been a pleasure meeting you,’ she said, kicking the bike’s stand up and wheeling it a little way, ‘but it really hasn’t.’ She placed one foot on the pedal and hooked her other leg over the saddle in what she hoped was an elegant and dismissive manner. ‘Do enjoy the rest of your day, won’t you?’ And with that, she cycled down the drive, swerving to miss the vans that were now reappearing and beeping angrily at her.


Tell us about your latest project

A Little in Love is a feel-good, romantic comedy set in the little village of Weddington which following the filming of a Hollywood Blockbuster is becoming THE place to get married. We follow the story of Rose Pedal as she starts her new business, Pedals and Prosecco and meet James Blume, handsome city florist on the way.

The story takes place over a summer of wedding fayres as Rose and James fall in love, but when a rival business, Cycles and Champagne steals Rose’s place, everything seems to fall apart and she needs her friends to help build her back up.

Can being just ‘a little in love’ help Rose and James find their own happy-ending?

What is your favourite cake?

My favourite cake would be anything with cream, the more cream the better although I am also partial to lemon drizzle and a nice fruit cake. In fact, there isn’t many cakes I would say no too.


Connect with Florence on Twitter @KeelingFlorence and @LilyMaeWalters1 

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Robin Claire Barnes. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me

No comments:

Post a Comment