Wednesday 14 April 2021

A Slice of Cake With... C Billie Brunson

This week I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author C Billie Brunson.


Born in Chicago, IL, she lived for several years in Indiana and, later, Iowa before moving to Arizona and settling in Scottsdale. C Billie Brunson is the mother of two and loves all animals, especially cats.

What kind of books do you write?

I write stories that thrill, hold you in suspense and maybe spook you a little all while (hopefully) delivering a vital truth or life lesson.

Can you describe your writing why?

When a story concept comes to my mind, I usually let it simmer in my brain for a while to see if it will evaporate to nothing. If it doesn’t then I know I’d better get it down on paper. Otherwise, it’ll always be there. Somewhere in the back of my mind. Brooding. Scheming and chippin’ away at my sanity.


Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

I had a blast writing the entire Six Strings manuscript. The event in Chapter 17, however, is what first comes to mind when I think of favourites. So, here is a snippet from that chapter:

“Five. Four. Three–”

“Hold on. I think this is one of those things I wouldn’t do,” Tyler said.

Heidi straightened until she sat on the backs of her legs and looked over at her brother. “I don’t remember asking what you thought. But, since you brought it up…. You got a plan B?”

“Well….”

“Nothing? Big surprise there. Now watch and learn while I go all Exterminator on these bugs,” She got back into the previous position and aimed. “Two. One!” 

A flame flashed on the tip of the lighter. At the same time, Heidi pressed the nozzle on the can. Ignited fluid shot out. 

One after the other, shrill, jarring notes sounded from the living room. The noise soon cut off as creepers of all kinds sizzled, cracked, and popped upon the floor like strange fireworks in a Fourth-of-July spoof. The bugs echoed the shrieks the Gibson had made as they scattered in every direction, most with flames clinging to their backs. 

Carried by myriads of teeny racing legs, fire spread unchecked. By the time Heidi deactivated the improvised blow torch, flames licked the wallpaper at the doorway to the foyer. The carpet at the threshold of the living room sent up smoky tendrils. A thickening, grey-black haze and remnants of insecticide fumes threatened the supply of breathable air. Affirming this, the smoke detector broke into a nagging chain of piercing bleats.

Fighting back a cough, Tyler shouted, “We have to get out of here!” 


Tell us about your latest project

Six Strings was released on February 9th of this year. The premise is as follows:

After the tragic death of his father Carl Percival VanNess inherits a guitar. He’s intent on learning to play and wants to use it as a roadway to fame and fortune…But this guitar is not as benign as it appears. In fact, the music produced when it is played incites anyone within earshot to murder whomever happens to be within reach.

I have a number of other projects in the works one that I am particularly enamoured with is entitled Subliminal. The premise Subliminal is:

Author Tyrone Mitchell makes a deal with an abominable creature, Hepsivah the Hexweaver, who he dreamed up for his Throne of Night and Storms series. Hepsivah does indeed deliver on her part of the deal. But at what cost for Tyrone? And at what cost for his fans?

Sound intriguing? Readers can enjoy chapters of Subliminal for FREE on my wattpad account. Just search the site for C_Bilie_Brunson.

What is your favourite cake?

Red Velvet. Hands down. I even wrote a poem about it a while back:

To Red Velvet Cake

I will never hesitate to stain my tongue
With your rich ruby genius
I greedily wrap my insides in your
Saccharine sanguineossity
My blood slurps down your thick tribute
to lust
intoxicating

When first I tasted you–
I just might die
if this is the last–
was the thought branded
into my secret parts

I want to find the one who invented you
kiss the ground she or he walked

What exactly should I name this spell you cast?
Sinful-dream-maple-burgundy-melt-my-middle
-chocolate-honey-hint?

Whatever it is
don’t you dare let it leave
me alone


You can connect with C Billie Brunson at the following places:

Twitter: www.twitter.com/CBillieBrunson
Instagram: www.instagram.com/c.billiebrunson
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/cbbrunson
Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/cbilliebrunson
Wattpad: www.wattpad.com/C_Billie_Brunson
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8QcSi-IrLhPl3KkipvlbiQ
Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B084M7PN9K/ B08W3RM7BB

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Derek McFadden. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!

Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.


No comments:

Post a Comment