Tuesday 14 July 2020

Tuesday Poem - Going Out

Going to the shops is a stressful job
Trying to stay clear of the general mob
Some wearing mask, some definitely not
Some keeping distant, some in your spot
The kids do pretty well
Stay close for a spell
Manage to people dodge a bit
Know not to share coughs and spit
Their new habit is washing their hands
When they get home, it's grand
They even use the in-store hand gel
Rubbing it over their hands so well
Kids adapt so quickly completely unphased
They constantly surprise me, constantly amaze
It's me that ends up like a piece of jelly
Relieved to be home, sit down, watch telly
Will it get better, will it get worse
Will I stop going out with my purse
Is internet shopping the future for me
Because I have this problem you see
I can't wear a face mask without stress
Can't breathe, can't cope, I'll confess
They cause me such panic attacks
There'll be no more nipping out for snacks
A housewife, stay at home mum
Inside my bubble, sat on my bum
Working, living, existing indoors
Pacing up and down the same floors
Trying my best to go out for fresh air
Showing my kids how much I care
That they get their sunshine and fun
While I fight the urge to cut and run


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment