Monday 13 July 2020

And then...?

My little boy often talks about when coronavirus is over we will be doing this, that and the other. He understands that this contagion has put a hold on things but he doesn't really grasp that we don't know for how long. He clings to the concept of when this is over. 

Lockdown in the UK is definitely easing. Restaurants and pubs are re-opening as are hairdressers and nail bars. Swimming pools will open by the end of July and social bubbles can mix in gardens provided you keep the 1metre safety distance. Oh, and you can travel on bus or train with the assistance of a face mask. 

This has translated to many people as 'back to normal' so you have half the population walking around like nothing has changed. No face masks, no social distancing, barging in shops and queues, getting their McDonalds fix and meeting up with all their friends and family.

To others, this has meant that we can go out but cautiously. They are wearing face masks and gloves and spraying anti-bac, avoiding contact with everyone and disinfecting all their purchases.

So what do I do? Back to normal or stay as I am?

There's not much difference, to be honest. I remember smiling when friends talked about how much their lives had changed due to lockdown. It didn't feel much different to me being a stay at home mum who already worked from home. As the months went on, homeschooling was definitely a challenge but still, I'm a stay-at-home mum so I spent a lot of time with my children anyway.

Then the lockdown blues hit and it got scary. Spiralling death tolls and this general sense of unease and ignorance because we just don't know what is going to happen.

Now? Well... other people's lives are returning to normal. They are going to work, seeing friends and family, shopping, eating out and travelling. And me? I'm no different. A stay-at-home mum who works from home. 

It's a little anti-climactic if I'm honest. My holiday has been transferred to next year but it was the first one I've had in five years so I'm not overly devastated. School has now closed for the summer holidays so I can do nothing but wait for September to see what happens.

My 'and then' is same. What's yours?


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

2 comments:

  1. I work from home with my writing too, Claire but with adult children no home schooling. What changed for me was meeting friends and family and just being able to go to the hairdressers etc which I've now done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hair appointment in a couple of weeks time, I'm looking forward to it lol.

      Delete