Tuesday 2 July 2019

Books Read in June 2019


Recap: Meet Harry Dresden, Wizard. He's trying to solve a murder without being murdered himself and it's not going exactly to plan.

Review: I watched the tv series a while back and thought I must read the books then never got round to it. This is probably a good thing because the memory of the tv show is romanticized and diminished so I'm able to fully immerse myself in the book. It's a complex case but not so complicated that you get lost. There are strong characters throughout plus obvious stereotypes but you don't mind because it's an entertaining read. The first in a series so obviously there are lots of questions but good world building and a clear definition on the magical system in place. I look forward to the next one.



Recap: an unknown menace strikes the human race, turning you mad if you look at it. Malorie survives blindfolded but must travel down river with two small children to a potential sanctuary.

Review: I watched the Netflix movie before I read the book and loved it. The book enhances that experience. The fear is closer and the desperation more desperate, less Hollywood. I found it hard to read the parts explaining how Malorie trained the children to keep their eyes closed and the suggestion of Don's to blind them because that would be my reality as a mum to young children. What would I do??? I enjoyed the back and forth narrative, it helped keep the tension high and the fear was written so well.



Recap: Rosie and Sam are asked to investigate a murder at a crime writers writing retreat.

Review: As always you are given glimpses of the supernatural that are never quite explained fully away. We're given a smidge more information on Rosie's parents but not enough, we need more! I really hope there's a full reveal planned for the future. The writer characters at the retreat were amusing and as always I had no idea whodunit - I never do lol. Really liked the Dorcus character - will we learn more about him? I hope so. Rosie and Sam's interplay feels more natural and we got a kiss! Just not quite that kind lol. Less witches but lots of local lore and history which is very interesting.




Recap: Miranda doesn't want to get married or be the daughter of the First Apostle and that's before she finds out what her family is responsible for and her own abuse memories resurface.

Review: Lynette has constructed such a well thought out alternative America that is feels chillingly realistic. The antagonists are unlikable and dastardly, our mentor is cranky yet loyal and our heroine kicks butt! The concept of the Azrael isn't quite fully explained enough, I have some questions about the inner power that's described but I'm hoping that will be further revealed in book two. There's lots of scope for a prequel as well. You might not root immediately for Miranda's personality but her circumstances will compel you to read on and crucially, she makes mistakes and is all the more believable for it. I could say more but I don't want to write spoilers so instead, I'll recommend you read this dystopian tale for yourself.


Recap: Mielitta doesn't fit into her perfect society and longs for something different. Circumstance provides her with the password to outside, to the Forest and her new life begins.

Review: A coming of age story with bees! Intriguing world building with insidious antagonists that provoked strong dislike - I think that was to do with all the clever scent and colour descriptions throughout the book that reinforced the characters. There are lots of unanswered questions so I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next.




Recap: The Torri-Tau are a little miffed about having been imprisoned for eternity and are now rewriting everyone's history unless Pierre and George can do anything about it.

Review: Pierre and George are back - hooray - but the entire universe as they know it is being erased unless they can come up with a plan. I have enjoyed reading this series and I loved the fact that Pierre and George are back together in this instalment. Despite stumbling from one disaster to another there are some poignant moments as well and the ending was well deserved for both characters. Pierre should have got the goat though, feels like a missed opportunity lol.




Recap: Newport Pagnell, wizard, is looking for dragon shell to make toothpaste.

Review: Highly amusing, far too short and a great lead into what I hope will be further books. Strong worldbuilding and sense of place, expected fantasy trope characters seen from Newport's point of view which adds a little freshness. Definitely on the smelly and yucky side of realistic setting though lol.








Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment