Wednesday 10 July 2019

A Slice of Cake With... Jennifer Reynolds

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with author Jennifer Reynolds.

Jennifer is a native of North Alabama. She has a Master of Fine Arts degree from National University and a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of North Alabama. 

She is a multi-genre author who focuses mostly on post-apocalyptic novels with plagues and zombies as their source of destruction and paranormal romances, especially shifters, werewolves, and ghosts. She does occasionally dabble in other genres such as general fiction, horror, and suspense thrillers. 

When she’s not writing, she’s her mother-in-law’s full-time caregiver, a stay at home wife, an avid reader, and the mother to two kitties, Lilith and Midnight. 

What kind of books do you write?

Mostly I write about shapeshifters who fall in love with plus size women, but over the next year or so, all of my releases will about how to survive zombies.



Can you describe your writing why?

I write because I love telling stories. At any given moment, one story or another is playing out in my head, but my everyday life interrupts it, so I write it down to see how it plays out. 

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

Here’s a scene from Leaving Liberty, a Shore Haven short story that released March 2019.

The lights in the room flickered. They hadn’t been bright to begin with, and I’d assumed they were solar powered.

No, I thought, looking at the light bulb hanging from a wire in the ceiling. No, you can’t go out. You can’t leave me in the dark.

The lights flickered again before going out completely. I threw myself into my door, and that time I felt it give a little. Or at least I thought I did. It had to because the back wall of my cell was caving in from all of the bodies pressing against it, and if it gave all the way it would spill zombies in on top of me, and I would be trapped.

I hit the door, again and again, not paying any attention to what was happening on the other side of my cell. My eyes stayed on the slowly bulging frame of the door. More bullets flew by me. One even grazed my arm, but I didn’t feel it. 

The last time I hit the door, I felt something push back as if there was a person on the other side trying to get in the room with me. I froze. I watched the doorknob, what I could make out of it anyway, to see if anyone was trying to unlock it. No one was, but someone was pushing on the door, trying to get inside. 

“I’m in here,” I screamed. I twisted and turned the doorknob, but didn’t have the strength to break the lock. “I’m here,” I screamed again to keep the person from giving up on getting to me.

Not once did it occur to me that the person wasn’t trying the knob either. Nor did it occur to me that there was more than one person on the other side of the door or that they might not be a person at all. I just kept screaming and pulling on the door.



Tell us about your latest project

Shore Haven is about a group of people living in a world that has already suffered through one post-apocalyptic event that has split the contents into a multitude of large islands when the zombie outbreak occurs. The group has to survive the zombies and prove to the rest of the world that the US has a vaccine and is working on a cure to keep them for bombing what remains of the country to prevent the outbreak from spreading. 

What is your favourite cake?

Cheesecake. All types.


A fine choice indeed! You can catch up with Jennifer on her website, follow her on Twitter and Facebook and all her books are available on Amazon.

Join me next week when I'll be having a slice of cake with Linda Thomsen.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. 

1 comment: