Wednesday 20 March 2019

A Slice of Cake With... Yvette Bostic

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with Yvette Bostic.

Yvette lives in the beautiful mountains of West Virginia. During the day she has a full-time career, but when she gets home and kicks off her shoes she becomes absorbed in her next novel. She enjoys the company of her ever-patient husband who believes she's lost in her computer, and three dogs who are the only ones who can drag her away from writing-mostly because she has no desire to clean up their mess.

She loves to read almost anything, but Fantasy has a special place in her heart. Her first series Light in the Darkness is available on Amazon.  

What kind of books do you write?

I strive to write books whose characters are memorable and easy to relate to. While they may all be in a fantasy world wielding magic or enchanted weapons, I want the reader to say, “I totally get that!” when the heroes are faced with everyday problems right alongside their insurmountable odds. I want my characters to feel like normal people, even if they aren’t.

Can you describe your writing why?

A horribly active imagination motivates me to write. I never dreamed I would be able to put my wild and crazy daydreams on paper and someone would actually enjoy reading them. Writing is a beautiful outlet for stifled creativity.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

I’ve enjoyed writing all my books! Picking just one is really hard. So, this is from Sentinel’s Rise, my newest book set to be released this spring. 

Several minutes later, the gate swung open and Orin stepped out, alone. The man willingly endured the ritual to be merged with a demon, losing almost all his humanity. He stood over seven feet tall, but his scrolling horns extended another ten inches above the thick black hair covering his skull. Plain tan trousers and a white shirt hung loosely on his large frame, but didn’t completely hide the dark, scaly hide beneath. Everything about him said he was a demon, except for his eyes. Where every other demon, including the Overlords, had burning red eyes, Orin retained his own gray orbs with flecks of green.
“It’s been a long time, Mikel,” he said in a deep, harsh voice, while nodding at the others.
“Yes, it has, Orin.”
“You’ve come for Silana.” 
“I’ve come for several reasons, actually.”
“If I offer refreshments, will you accept?” The corners of Orin’s mouth twitched.
Mikel chuckled. “If you will bring it outside the gates, I would love some tea.”
“Thank you,” Orin said, his lips turning to a full smile. “I appreciate that you don’t insult my intelligence by walking blindly into my abode.” He turned and barked an order at the watchman in the Csökkent’s guttural language.
“Come,” Orin gestured towards the stream. “There are already benches arranged by the water.” He turned his back on Mikel’s party and walked away. 
Mikel looked at Adalina and Darian, both of whom shrugged their shoulders and followed. The half demon didn’t fear them even though they severely outnumbered him.
“I will not force Silana to leave,” Orin stated as they reached five metal benches arranged in a large semi-circle. “Victoria’s happiness is important to me and Silana seems to…” he paused and motioned for them to sit. “I believe Victoria is in a losing fight against her demon. Her sister brings back her humanity.” He tapped a clawed finger against the scrolling metal, watching the water cascade over the rocks in the stream at his feet. “If Victoria cannot control the demon…” He paused again and looked at Mikel.
“Why are you telling me this?” Mikel asked. “Is it an attempt to lure me into trusting you? To make me feel compassion for your situation?”
“I tell you this because I would not be fighting my own demon if it weren’t for Victoria,” Orin hissed. “I did this for her.” He thumped his hand against his wide chest. “I’ve endured this torture for two hundred years for the woman I love. And I’m losing her. My will to fight this demon is tied to her and she needs her sister.”
Mikel stared at the demon with awe and confusion. He expected Orin to be consumed by his demon, but that clearly wasn’t the case. But they had not come here to discuss Orin’s feelings for Victoria. Mikel shook his head with frustration.
“What do you know about the threats issued to the governments worldwide?” Mikel asked, steering the conversation away from Orin’s demons.
“No more than you do,” Orin replied. “Actually, probably less. I don’t have the luxury of Darian’s scouts.”
“You expect me to believe you aren’t in league with the Overlords?”
“You can believe what you wish,” Orin replied. 
The watchman approached their group carrying two trays, one on each hand, balancing the edges on his shoulders. Orin stood and took the platter with the tea pot. The watchman placed the second on the nearest bench, revealing several ceramic cups stacked together. Without waiting for any recognition, the man left. 
“Help yourself,” Orin said as he poured a cup of tea. “The Overlords have not summoned my demon, and I have not offered assistance. I’d like to think they’ve forgotten about us, but I seriously doubt it.”
“What will you do if Zar’Asur summons you?” Darian asked.
“I will have no choice but to answer,” Orin replied. “The demon cannot deny its master.”
Mikel poured a cup of tea as well and sipped the hot, dark liquid. It was strong, but not bitter.
“I appreciate your efforts to stay neutral, Orin,” Mikel said. “It’s been refreshing knowing that I did not have to fight against you all these years.”
“It’s been refreshing not looking over my shoulder in fear of attack,” Orin replied. “I don’t know what Zar’Asur’s intentions are, but they will not be good.” He sat his cup on the tray and leaned forward, lacing his clawed fingers together. “He’s already tried pitting the nations against one another and it didn’t work. I can’t see him using the same tactic twice. Lorkath and Kal’Gara stood a better chance at succeeding, but even they failed to anticipate your strength and humanity’s unwillingness to cooperate with their plans.” 
Mikel leaned back, rolling his cup between his fingers. “If you were in his place, or rather if your demon were in his place, what would you do?”
“I would not give humanity a chance to fight back,” he replied. “I would use whatever weapon of mass destruction I could get my hands on. Humans have certainly provided a wide selection to choose from.” He leaned back and the metal groaned beneath his weight. “Then I would subjugate whomever was left behind.”
A chill ran down Mikel’s spine, but before he could respond Orin continued.
“I’m grateful to see that’s difficult for you to digest. It’s why the Overlords always fail. They believe your compassion makes you weak.”
Mikel was at a loss for words. He turned and looked at Adalina and Darian, seeing the same surprised expressions. This conversation had not gone as expected.
“Thank you for your honesty, Orin,” Mikel finally said. “I wish it were possible for us to be allies.”
Orin’s chuckle sounded more like a low growl, but his smile was genuine. 
“Tell Silana she will have to choose,” Mikel continued. “While I appreciate her concern for her sister, I will not trust Victoria. I can’t allow Silana free access to Santuario if she continues to come here as well. I’m sure you have the similar concerns.”
“I do,” Orin replied. “I’ll give her your message.” He stood and extended his hand. “I hope our next meeting is as cordial as this one.”
Mikel stood as well and accepted the handshake.
“So, do I.” He turned to his companions, who rose when he did. “Let’s go home.” 
They nodded. Adalina and her warriors disappeared first. Darian raised an eyebrow at Mikel, who shook his head. Darian vanished as well. 
“Will you tell me if you’re summoned?” Mikel asked.
“I can promise nothing, Mikel, but I’ll try.” Orin looked back at the castle looming in the distance. “Zar’Asur will use us as weapons when we’re summoned.” He turned back to Mikel with an intense look. “My power alone is astounding, but Victoria and I together would be unstoppable. Without the bond of your Watcher and Sentinel, humanity will not survive.”



Tell us about your latest project

My latest project is also the excerpt above. The Watcher and the Sentinel Series is a continuation of the Light in the Darkness Series.

It’s a culmination of all the hopes, dreams and failures for the Council of Light. It’s not their ending, by any means, but they will finally face the evil behind the demonic overlords who have plagued humanity for centuries. 

Darian will be united with his Sentinel. Their strengths and weaknesses will be challenged several times and his certainty in their destiny will be shaken severely. 

A host of new allies will join the fight, while the Council once again must sacrifice their own to bring balance to their broken world.

It will be at least a two-book series, possibly three, that I hope to have published late spring or early summer.

The cover art for Sentinel’s Rise is done and my extremely talented artist is labouring tirelessly on the others.

What is your favourite cake?

Anything with chocolate! I love dessert of any kind. I’m not sure I have a favourite. I’m not particularly fond of lemon, but there are definitely exceptions to that. So, picking one that I absolutely never get tired of….cheesecake with a chocolate crust and brownie layer on the bottom, then mountains of whipped cream on top.


Thanks Yvette! You can keep in touch with Yvette on Facebook, Twitter and visit her website

Join me next week when I'll be having a slice of cake with Jon Byrne.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!



Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment