Wednesday 6 March 2019

A Slice of Cake... Tim Walker

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with indie author Tim Walker.

Tim is an independent author based in Windsor, UK. His background is in marketing, journalism, editing and publications management. He began writing a historical series, A Light in the Dark Ages (set in Fifth-Century Britain), in 2015, starting with Abandoned, set at the time the Romans left Britain. This was extensively revised and re-launched as a second edition in 2018. 

Book two, Ambrosius: Last of the Romans, was published in 2017 and the third instalment, Uther’s Destiny, was published in March 2018 (winner of One Stop Fiction book of the month award, April 2018). The adventure continues from March 2019 in the fourth book, Arthur, Dux Bellorum.

His creative writing journey began in July 2015 with the publication of a book of short stories, Thames Valley Tales. In September 2017 he published a second collection of short stories – Postcards from London. These stories combine his love of history with his experiences of living in London and various Thames Valley towns.

In 2016 he published his first novel, a dystopian political thriller, Devil Gate Dawn, following exposure through the Amazon Scout programme. In 2017 he published his first children’s book, The Adventures of Charly Holmes, co-written with his 12-year-old daughter, Cathy, followed In 2018 by a second adventure, Charly & The Superheroes.

What kind of books do you write?

I write about the past and how it connects to the present. I also encourage my daughter to make up stories that will resonate with her age group, and we write them up together.

Can you describe your writing why?

I started writing short stories because I was bored – staying at home whilst undergoing cancer treatment. I also needed a diversion from contemplating my flimsy mortality, so dreaming up and writing fiction filled many of my waking hours. Once started on my historical series, I found a fresh source of motivation in a deep desire to see my work dramatized on the television or on the big screen. Maybe one day…

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

A tough one… here’s a descriptive passage from Uther’s Destiny

Stars winked in the deep blue blanket above them as the promise of dawn seeped upwards from the distant edge of the world; a golden glow that prompted the start of the ceremony. Druids holding burning brands chanted to the steady beat of hand drums as a line of riders wrapped in bearskin cloaks breathed mist into the cold air, their rising vapour trails like souls from the departed buried beneath them making their way to the netherworld.


Tell us about your latest project

My new book is Arthur Dux Bellorum – my telling of the King Arthur story. This is where my historical series, A Light in the Dark Ages, has led me after three books. I adopted the timeline of Geoffrey of Monmouth (writing in the 1130s) for a lineage of post-Roman Kings of Britain, leading me to Arthur’s door. I fretted for months at the prospect of writing about such a well-exposed British hero, but research provided me with a way in. 

My Arthur story has been guided by a historian’s article speculating on the possible sites of the twelve battles of Arthur, as described by Nennius around the year 820. His is one of the earliest mentions of a ‘real’ Arthur – a Dark Ages warrior who predates the legendary and chivalric figure of the Middle Ages.

Although in a series, it works as a standalone novel – give it a try


What's your favourite cake?

That would be coffee and walnut cake.


I'm with you on that one, Tim - you can't beat a slice of coffee and walnut! You can find out more about Tim on his website, follow him on Facebook and Twitter. All his books are available on Amazon

Join me next week when I'll be having a slice of cake with Lynette Burrows.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. 

2 comments: