Wednesday 17 May 2023

A Slice of Cake With... R. M. Krogman

This week I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author R. M. Krogman.

R. M. Krogman is an epic fantasy writer and fan of nature, creative cooking, and art. She loves world-building, especially defining the foods and dress of a culture, and even has a collection of recipes from Midgate. She also loves drawing scenes and characters from the books, although those sketches may never see the light of day!

She has been developing the Keepers of Midgate since she was in high school. The main story line has changed little since then, only gaining more clarity and detail as the characters take on a life of their own. The world has grown in its depth of history, culture, and geography, spawning numerous side stories and prequels.

What kind of books do you write?

I write books with expansive worlds where elemental magic is infused into everything, even the people. The history is often violent, but perhaps not moreso than the future. Dragons and their Keepers live on the edges of society, when once they were kings, and the Temple maintains a tight hold to ensure peace among the kingdoms. If you’re looking for warrior mermaids, mischievous assassins, and wildly powerful mages, then you might like my writing.

Can you describe your writing why?

I write in order to see my world become tangible, something that brings me more joy than anything else: creation. I was asked once if writing was my escape from the world, and I replied that, no, it is my entire world. 

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

My favorite scene thus far is from “Sundering,” a moment when one character finally finds the other after they had been apart. In fact, they had believed each other dead. When they see each other, it is the first time this character smiles. Okay, I know I said that was my favorite scene…but there are at least two others that I should mention: one that is unbelievably joyful and one that is so tragic that every single beta has pointed it out as the most powerful scene. I’m pretty proud of those too.

Tell us about your latest project

My dark fantasy novella is out now and free to all newsletter subscribers, so if you like feeling the “feels,” you should check it out! Set in the same world as my other work, Marked is the story of a boy, cursed by evil and rejected by society. Even as he blames himself for the terrible things happening around him, he must reclaim his life before those who know his secret turn on him.

What is your favourite cake?

My favorite cake is a specific white wedding cake with buttercream-with-a-secret-ingredient-and-it’s-not-butter, made by a lovely old woman from a town of 200 people. The majority of her sales are made through the gas station refrigerator. It is the best cake I’ve ever had. (I also learned last year that she is willing to sell her frosting in ice cream buckets, and that it can be successfully frozen for months at a time.)


You can connect with R. M. Krogman here:


Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Jamie Krakover. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please get in touch. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours through Kofi and buy me virtual tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment