Wednesday 8 March 2023

A Slice of Cake With... Shannon McRoberts

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Shannon McRoberts.

USA Today Best Selling Author Shannon McRoberts writes epic fantasy and urban fantasy books while living in the rolling hills of Kentucky. Shannon is a lover of all kinds of fantasy but enjoys watching her collection of favorite shows like Xena, Buffy, Firefly, Fairy Tail, Game of Thrones, and Farscape. 

When she’s not busy with taking care of her family, binge watching Netflix, or making fantasy art, she is at her computer weaving myths and magic featuring women of grit and steel.

What kind of books do you write?

I like to write tomes full of fantastical magic, snarky women, and exceptional weapons.  Many of my stories feature a chosen one who has some kind of hidden magic or destiny.  Whatever I write, I can guarantee you there will be women, weapons, and magic! 

Can you describe your writing why?

Growing up, I didn’t have cool entertainment choices like Xena or Buffy, but boy howdy did I love those shows like a duck loves water when they came out!  My thing with entertainment is I want to insert myself INTO the story…and in order for me to do that, I want stories featuring female characters.  Those kinds of stories remain scarce, but they were especially hard to find for little girls growing up in the “Oregon Trail Era”.

Back then I wanted fantasy battles, dragons, mythical prophecies, and weapon wielding maidens… but the entertainment gods were like “women” led stories don’t sell.  But how about we ::insert Sexy Lamp Shade sidekick:: and call it a day?  

There’s no better way to get the entertainment you want than by creating it yourself.  Which is what I set out to do.    

In short, I am an artist and author creating unique stories and art for the women seeking entertainment with representation because everyone needs a character that’s more than just a side-kick.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

After traveling forever over rolling wheat fields, it became abundantly clear to me my boots were not, in fact, made for walking. 

Jax chuckled as he stopped to look at me. “I take it you’re not accustomed to hiking. We’ve only been moving for twenty-minutes. I haven’t been to the stronghold of the Autumn Court for many years. For all I know, they moved the stronghold.”

“What do you mean by moved a stronghold? How do you move an entire court? Like, is it on wheels or something?”

“Seriously, Tempy? We are standing in a land called Fairy, and you think the Fae need wheels to move large objects?”

Tell us about your latest project

As a creative person with ADHD, my latest projects tend to rotate around in shifts.  What I can say is I have a book coming out in the spring called Murder in Loft 36: A Tempest Danvers Supernatural Tale.  It’s probably the book I am the most excited about.  I really worked on honing this story and crafting some cool twists and turns.  I can’t wait to share the book with others. 


What is your favourite cake?

I love white cake with white buttercream icing.


You can connect with Shannon here: sleek.bio/shannonmcroberts

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Carol Cooper. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!



Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment