Friday 16 December 2022

A Slice of Cake With... Michelle Cook

This week I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Michelle Cook.

Michelle lives in Worcestershire, UK, with her husband, Daniel, and their two young children.

Her first joyful steps into creative writing were at the age of ten, when the teacher read out her short story in class. A slapstick tale of two talking kangaroos breaking out of a zoo, the work was sadly lost to history. Still, Michelle never forgot the buzz of others enjoying her words.

More recently, she has had several flash pieces published, was longlisted for the Cambridge 2020 prize for flash fiction and placed first in the February 2020 Writers’ Forum competition with her short story The Truth About Cherry House. She signed with Darkstroke Books in June 2020 and her debut novel Tipping Point was longlisted for the 2022 Page Turner Awards. The sequel, Counterpoint, is out now!

What kind of books do you write?

I write all sorts of tales, but they mostly turn out dark, sometimes despite my best efforts! They are usually “what if?” stories – taking something from life around me and moving it on a step or two to see what happens. I’m also interested in resilience, and how people deal with extreme situations with a wider context. 

My debut novel, Tipping Point, and the sequel, Counterpoint, are eco-thrillers. The main character, eighteen-year-old Essie Glass, discovers a conspiracy to suppress climate-saving technology in order to protect energy companies’ profits. Little did I know when writing it in 2018 what was in store for us in the real world…

With problems and pain of her own, Essie must decide how much she’s willing to risk to expose it. Her choices set off a series of events which land her in terrible danger, caught in a web of political games and deceit, with the fate of the globe in her hands.


Can you describe your writing why?

When I was ten, my teacher read out a story of mine in class, and I suppose that sense of achievement and kudos must have stayed with me. It’s weird, because there were many years after that when I wrote very little, and never seriously. I lacked confidence in my work and would not have shared it. 

Our family was going through a tough time a few years ago. I took up writing again as a release from the stress, and that’s when Tipping Point was born. There was something about the story, which kept me going through the inevitable ups and downs of writing a novel. In retrospect, I might have chosen a more relaxing hobby.

There are moments where I have a scene develop so clearly in my head. Not always the words, but the feelings, tone, and texture. Sometimes when you come to write it, the words form the way you want them to, and you recreate that scene entirely the way you imagined it. Those moments are why I write, and I can’t imagine not doing it now.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

This is a passage from one of the pivotal scenes in Tipping Point, which was my first novel and therefore will possibly always be my favourite!

As I stare at the scarf, the green glimmers, and there’s something else too. I know it’s not real, but I see it.

E… S…

She was alive down in Langford’s cellar. How long did they leave her, when she could have been saved? What did they do to stop her crying out? Screaming for me.

Alex Langford is a respected businessman…

Me and him in a room with no windows? He'd be a dead businessman.
I need to breathe the river again.
My keys, a torch and a knife go into my pocket. The knife that gouged BITCH into my table. I stuff Maya’s scarf in my bag and escape into the damp, foggy air.
River Street is a whirl of celebration. Snowflake-shaped illuminations hang from the streetlights and glowing silver bells drape over my head.
I forgot. Christmas is the day after tomorrow. Seth’ll be frantic trying to get everything done at church now. He lost a day to come with me to the funeral, and I never even thanked him. Just muttered a terse goodbye and turned away towards the flat.
I buy cigarettes at the shop next to Kiss. Another bottle of gin.
Bank Lane is empty of sleeping bags. Their occupants have been arrested, harassed or just moved on so many times they’ve given up and sought somewhere else to carve out their days. I think of Andy, and I wonder where he is. I hope he found shelter from the storm.
But he’s dead, I know that. Like Maya. Mum… Dad… Willow… Darya.
All the people on that train.
All the other trains.
The sleeping bags. The cellars.
And the people who speak out.
The vibration in my head resolves itself into a thrum of fury.

Tell us about your latest project

The sequel to Tipping Point, Counterpoint, is out now. It continues the story of Essie, what happens to her as she grows older in a world scrambling to survive climate and societal collapse. I did say I do dark! 

I wrote it because I needed to see a way through all the trouble we’re in—and the trouble I left Essie in—so I hope it strikes an optimistic note in the end. To say anything else would risk spoilers for the first book, but you can find out more about the series here: 



What is your favourite cake?

Ah – cake is what I came for. So many to choose from… I will leave aside the chocolate options for a moment and go carrot cake please! The spices; the sumptuous cream cheese icing. Oh heck, looks like Slimming World will be starting next week, then.


You can connect with Michelle on her Linktree: linktr.ee/michellecookwriter

Join me next week when I will be looking back at all the delicious cake and lovely interviews we've had this year. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours through Kofi and buy me virtual tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment