Wednesday 3 August 2022

A Slice of Cake With... Ella Cook

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Ella Cook.

Ella’s been obsessed with books since she was a toddler. She decided to become a writer as soon as she realised that stringing letters together in the right order could actually be a career.

She grew up in the outskirts of London, where fairies lived at the bottom of her Grandma’s garden, so it isn’t surprising that she still looks for magic in everyday life – and often finds it.

When she’s not living in a fantasy world of her own creation, she writes bids and develops programmes for children’s services. She lives in rural Warwickshire (where there are probably more fairies) with her husband who is ever loving and understanding, and makes her gallons of tea in magical cups that can keep drinks warm for whole chapters.

What kind of books do you write?

I write stories with happy endings: ones that are about healing, and hope, and finding the light in the dark. And love – with a sprinkle of fairy dust. 

The world we live in can be a truly amazing place – but it can also be filled with sadness and seemingly insurmountable obstacles. But I believe, somewhere, there’s always light. Hope. The potential for better. And that’s what I write.

Can you describe your writing why?

I don’t know how not to write. It’s my passion, my career, and my peace of mind: it calms the crazy and helps keep me sane. Well, as sane as I ever get! 

I think writing is an incredibly powerful thing. We need stories in our lives: they can make us feel things, or help us escape (sunny beaches away from viruses and lockdowns anyone?). But they can also teach us, and give us opportunities to gain understanding of different situations and topics – and develop empathy. It’s a kind of magic, really. 

Writing has carried me through some of the worst parts of my life – and it’s given me focus, and joy, and hope. And it’s introduced me to some truly wonderful people. How can I stop now?

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

Oh, that’s really tricky… It changes with every book I work on. But I loved the ones from Summer’s Christmas about keeping the spirit of the season in your heart all year round. Here’s what my leading man, Jake, had to say on it:

‘Do you believe that joy, and hope, and love should be held in your heart all year long? And not just a single day in December? Do you believe there’s a place for the magic of Christmas every single day? Do you believe in the miracle of human kindness all year round?’


Tell us about your latest project

Summer’s Christmas is a Christmas/Summer crossover and mash-up where a village must come together to not only raise a child – but maybe save a little girl’s life. Here’s the blurb:

Summer by name and summer by nature – that’s how people describe Evelyn’s happy, outgoing daughter. Even if her favourite time of year is actually Christmas!

But Summer has gone through more than any eight-year-old ever should, and that’s part of the reason Evelyn is leaving everything behind to return to her childhood home in the village of Broclington; just her, Summer and Summer’s best friend – a Shiba Inu dog called Tilly. Unsurprisingly, Evelyn is hesitant to let anyone else in, although local vet Jake Macpearson seems intent on winning her trust.
When Evelyn receives the news that every mother dreads, it’s Jake who comes to the rescue. With the help of the Broclington community, could he be the man to bring festive magic to August, and make all of Evelyn and Summer’s Christmases come at once?

I’m working on the follow up stories at the moment, which take us back into the village of Broclington, and reunites us with some of the cast of Summer’s Christmas… with a sprinkle of magic, of course!

What is your favourite cake?

Well, I did invent a cake for Summer’s Christmas: it’s called a Brockle Cake (brockle being old English for badger). It’s a rich, dense, chocolate and vanilla sponge, striped together (hence the badger) with a cherry jam filling – and yes, I’ve made it, and yes it’s as good as it sounds!

But if it’s cake I can buy in a regular store – probably red velvet.


You can connect with Ella on Twitter: twitter.com/EllaCookWrites

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Leanne Lovegrove. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake on Kofi - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me

1 comment:

  1. Loved this, thanks for sharing. Wishing you much success Ella. Thanks Claire. xx

    ReplyDelete