Friday 26 August 2022

A Slice of Cake With Angela Petch

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Angela Petch.

Published by Bookouture, Angela Petch is an award-winning writer of fiction – and the occasional poem. Every summer she moves to Tuscany for six months where she and her husband own a renovated watermill which they let out. When not exploring their unspoilt corner of the Apennines, she disappears to her writing desk at the top of a converted stable. In her Italian handbag or hiking rucksack she always makes sure to store notebook and pen to jot down ideas. The winter months are spent in Sussex where most of her family live. When Angela’s not helping out with grandchildren, she catches up with writer friends. Angela’s gripping, WWII, Tuscan novels are published by Bookouture. while her novel, Mavis and Dot, was self-published and tells of the frolics and foibles of two best-friends who live by the seaside. Angela also writes short stories published in Prima and People’s Friend.


What kind of books do you write?

Italy is part of my soul, having lived there on and off throughout my (long) life. My mother-in-law is Italian and was a teenager during the war. Her true stories ignited me and led me to write several novels (strongly laced with fact) about this period. Originally self-published, I am now with the fabulous Bookouture publishing family.

My one remaining self-published book is “something completely different”. Mavis and Dot is set by the Sussex seaside and describes the antics of two retired ladies: unlikely friends who get up to all sorts. All proceeds go towards research into cancer and the book is very dear to me. I wrote it in memory of my best friend who died far too early from ovarian cancer. I am working on a sequel when I have time.

Can you describe your writing why?

I think it is important to honour the courage of ordinary people who experienced so much (too much) during World War Two. Sadly, many unsung heroes and heroines are disappearing from our lives before they can tell us what they did. For us.  When I receive e mails from readers – many of them second generation Italian immigrants – who thank me for depicting what life was like for their relatives, then I am happy. We know a lot about the French campaign, but not about what went on in Italy during this period. As I live in Italy for six months each year and am fluent in Italian, I’m able to research by talking to my elderly Italian friends, as well as studying original documents. We need to know about our past in order to understand our future and not repeat the same mistakes.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

The Tuscan Girl was the second book commissioned by Bookouture and close to my heart. I met an elderly Italian gentleman on one of my walks in the Apennines. He died last year at the wonderful age of one hundred. I started talking to him in Italian and, to my utter surprise, he responded in English. He’d been a POW in Nottingham throughout the war. And he inspired me to write this book. RIP, Bruno xx

From the Prologue to The Tuscan Girl Tuscany, 1945

Birdsong and the lazy buzzing of a bee filtered into her hiding place like a normal start to the day. From far away she heard a cockerel crow. Normally it would be the signal to roll out of bed, pull on her clothes and start her morning chores. But nothing in her life was routine anymore. Tears spilled down her cheeks, splashing onto her brother’s coat. She put her head in her hands, the stubbly growth on her scalp bringing back more awful memories. It would have been better if she’d burned in the house fire. She sobbed, rocking back and forth, not caring now if her crying gave her away. There was no point to life.
    
And then, she felt a fluttering in her belly, like a butterfly grazing its wings against her insides. She placed her hands beneath her clothing and, spreading her fingers over her abdomen as if to protect the butterfly from escaping, she waited. Until she felt it again, and then she stopped crying.


Tell us about your latest project

I had an uncle whom I was never able to meet. He was a rear gunner in the RAF and died when his Liberator was shot down during the war over what was known at that time as Yugoslavia. He had flown out of an airfield based in southern Italy.  I have a photo of this handsome nineteen-year-old, my mother’s only brother. How I wish he had survived.

In my latest book, I have explored what might happen if a young man did survive such an event. And lose his memory. How would his life pan out if he was rescued by an Italian family? Would he want to return? Would his past catch up with him? 

My most recent book is The Postcard From Italy. 


Italy, 1945. ‘Where am I?’ The young man wakes, bewildered. He sees olive trees against a bright blue sky. A soft voice soothes him. ‘We saw you fall from your plane. The parachute saved you.’ He remembers nothing of his life, or the war that has torn the world apart… but where does he belong?

England, present day. Antique-shop-owner Susannah wipes away a tear as she tidies her grandmother’s belongings. Elsie’s memories are fading, and every day Susannah feels further away from her only remaining family. But everything changes when she stumbles across a yellowed postcard of a beautiful Italian stone farmhouse, tucked away in Elsie’s dressing table. A message dated from World War 2 speaks of a secret love. Could her grandmother, who never talked about the past, have fallen for someone in Italy all those years ago?

With Elsie unable to answer her questions, Susannah becomes determined to track down the house and find a distraction from her grief. Arriving at what is now a crumbling hotel by the sparkling Italian sea, she feels strangely at home. And after an unexpected encounter with handsome wine waiter Giacomo, she can’t tell if it’s his dark eyes or his offer to help solve her mystery that makes her heart race.

Together they find a dusty chest tucked in a forgotten corner of the building. The white silk of a World War 2 parachute spills out. And the Royal Air Force identity tag nestled in the folds bears a familiar name…

With Giacomo by her side, and before it’s too late for her grandmother, can Susannah discover the truth behind a shocking wartime secret at the heart of her family? Or will it tear her apart?

What is your favourite cake?

Such a difficult question. I can eat all sorts… but I’m choosing Panforte: an Italian cake – more like a thick biscuit – densely packed with fruits, nuts and spices. Traditionally it is eaten over the Christmas and New Year in Italy, but if I can get hold of it, I can eat it all year round.


You can get in touch with Angela here:


Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Pernille Hughes. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!




Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

1 comment:

  1. Angela's writing is wonderful. Jessie

    ReplyDelete