Wednesday 30 June 2021

A Slice of Cake With... Nathan Scammell

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Nathan Scammell.

When Nathan is not sat at his desk writing (or pretending to) he's either playing the Xbox or spending time with the children (watching them play Xbox).

Nathan has released his debut Escape From Arcadia – book one of the Sisters of Fate trilogy and is currently working on the sequel as well as The Universe Under My Bed - an interactive storytelling website for children.

Nathan has previously coached other up and coming authors as well as hosting the Fiction Writers Club on Discord. 

What kind of books do you write?

I am currently working on an epic fantasy novel. I post short stories to my blog but they tend to be more psychological thrillers, I love a good twist, so pretty much everything I write has to include a twist big or small.

Can you describe your writing why?

I love writing! I have always wanted to write a novel, I used to work fifty plus hours a week as a supermarket manager and with my children on top of that I never allowed myself the time to write. I was always too tired and I never used my creativity. When Covid struck I thought it was the perfect time to quit my job and try to follow my dream!

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most


This is a scene in my latest book I had so much fun writing:


“Well, tonight will be a lesson for you, my boy.” The dwarf chuckled. “Hurry up.” He said collecting all the empty glasses before going for more. Cad finished the drink as quick as he could. It was harder than the first, but he was enjoying himself none the less.
He could feel his head spinning.

“So you’ve never been drunk before?” Gwen asked.

“No. I know my dad has been a couple of times, but its hard to get enough ale or whisky, and when you do you need to ration it out.”

“Well, the good thing about a tavern.” Said Gwen, “Is that the taps never run dry!”

“Wayyyyyyy.” Shouted Troy as he walked over skillfully holding five glasses of mead at once. “And I am extremely grateful.” He said clinking glasses with Gwen and then Cad. The tavern filled up as the evening went on. Cad and his friends were the loudest by far, and he was loving every minute of it. They danced when the music played, Cad didn’t recognise any of the songs or even the instruments but the beat made him want to get out of his seat and dance, luckily Troy was the first one dancing so he didn’t feel silly, Gwen joined them shortly after.



Tell us about your latest project

Escape from Arcadia is an Epic Fantasy that begins in a town sealed off from the rest of the world. Our main character Cadderick has never been outside, no one has, but he has dreamed of it for a very long time. When he does manage to go and see the world, it is very different to what he expected. He is pushed places he doesn’t want to go and finds out more on the history of him and his town that he would have rather remained forgotten.

What is your favourite cake?

Can’t beat a traditional Victoria sponge, although anything with buttercream icing on it is a winner for me. 


You can connect with Nathan here:


Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Clarissa Gosling. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment