Wednesday 19 May 2021

A Slice of Cake With... Laura Hatchell

This week I am delighted to have a slice of cake with Laura Hatchell.

Born and bred in Dublin, L.M. Hatchell is a fully qualified accountant, a health and fitness enthusiast, and mammy to a little girl with a big personality. In the rare minutes of the day when she has peace, you’ll find her with her head buried in a book, lost in a world of magic, intrigue, and suspense.

She started writing at a young age and could often be found passing the pages of her next story around her friends at school. Then life got in the way and she forgot the joy of writing. Until now.

What kind of books do you write?

I write fast-paced, low romance, urban fantasy books set in Ireland. As a reader, I love books that weave mythology (in various interpretations) into the modern-day, so I like to explore this in my own writing while adding a healthy dose of suspense and Irish attitude. 

My aim is to provide pure escapism to give readers a break from the stresses of day-to-day life.


Can you describe your writing why?

My mam instilled a love of reading in me from an early age, and as a kid, I loved writing stories and passing them around my friends. I even got a typewriter one Christmas since I was obviously going to be an author when I grew up. 

But somewhere along the lines, I forgot about that and moved onto my next ambition – I was going to be an actress. Roll forward another decade or so (we’ll leave the “or so” bit vague) and I was happily working away as … an accountant. I was good at my job, but I was bored and in need of a challenge. 

During a discussion over dinner, my uncle mentioned a phrase that ultimately became my very first book title. The phrase stuck with me, and somewhere in the cobwebby recesses of my mind, my imagination flared to life. I decided I needed to write a book, and miraculously, I did. That need hasn’t left me since. 

Writing offers me an endless opportunity for challenge and learning. I do it for fun now and have no desire to make it my full-time occupation, but I love learning about every aspect of publishing. It’s not just about writing, it’s also publishing and marketing. There’s a never-ending list of things I can explore.


Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

“You don’t scream for me anymore.”
Il Maestro pondered this, tilting his head as he looked at the frail figures curled up on the hard, stone floor. A chain made with thick iron links swung lazily in his left hand as he licked the blood from the fingers of his right.
The smaller of the two forms tensed, no doubt waiting on the inevitable blow. The larger form remained still, unmoving, as it had for a long time now.
“It’s started already, you know,” Il Maestro continued, pacing slowly around the small, dank cell, in no hurry to make use of the heavy chain. “I felt it as soon as the clock struck midnight. The shift.
“All those years waiting patiently. It will be worth it when the prophecy is fulfilled and I take my rightful place at their side. We will hide in the shadows no more.”
He stopped pacing and stared at the torches that lined the wall, their flames flickering hungrily in the dark. 
“At least she’ll know her life meant something in the end. That must make you proud.”
Lifting his arm high, he let the chain fly and felt the satisfying crunch of bone beneath the iron. 
Again, his arm raised. 
“Let’s see if we can make you scream, shall we?”

Tell us about your latest project

Death. Destruction. Chaos.

The Horsemen are coming …

… Ireland’s supernatural world is about to be turned on its head.

I am currently working on 1 Minute to Midnight, the final book in my urban fantasy Midnight Trilogy. The trilogy focuses around a vampire-fae hybrid and a prophecy that will end humanity.

Phoenix is the only hybrid in the history of the Lore, and it’s her existence that has triggered the countdown. If the prophecy is fulfilled, the Horsemen will return. And everyone she loves will die.

She must learn to embrace her true nature and rise from the flame. Or watch as it all burns to ashes.

What is your favourite cake?

This is easy! Coffee cake without a doubt. And I’m not talking a coffee slice here, none of that whipped cream for me. I’m talking the proper sponge cake, with coffee buttercream. Excuse me while I drool on my keyboard…



Connect with Laura on Facebook.

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Carollyne Lairie. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment