Wednesday 12 May 2021

A Slice of Cake With... Judith Moffitt

This week I am delighted to have a slice of cake with Judith Moffitt.

Judith is a writer of essays, science fiction and fantasy. She is also a photographer and a fractal artist.

What kind of books do you write?

I write about aftermaths. The settings may be not of the world, but the human psychology and feelings are real.

Can you describe your writing why?

Now that is a hard one. I’m retired so it’s a good way to spend my time now that I have time. But mostly it is because I got so sick of all books in my genres (Can I sneak in a mention of science fiction and fantasy now that I’m past question 1?) being mostly about young people saving everything. I wanted to write about older people, invisible people, marginalized people. And as someone who has through absolute hell many times, I wanted to write about getting back on your feet after life knocks you down. 

So I write about the old woman (only a year older than I am) mage who saved the world when she was young and now is the only person who can save it again. She annoyed, cranky, in pain (arthritis and quests, not such a good thing) and ready to slap down the next sexist, ageist bastard to says a word to her.

Or the middle-aged woman who finally falls in love and marries, but she and her husband decide not to have children (after he thinks his kids from a previous marriage are dead since their location was destroyed in war) because she never felt the need to be a parent. And he is fine with that because he wants her to be happy.

Or the blind woman who runs a school for unwanted children who has to defend them against attack with her quarterstaff.

Or the trans couple who just live like ordinary people because that’s what they are.


Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

Couldn’t make up my mind between two scenes from the same book, To the Bitter End. The book is about an interstellar war. But as the war rages, ordinary life goes on, such as this moment from the life of the CEO of a company involved in the war effort:

“Daddy.” A shocked scream came from his daughters’ bathroom.

Brian got up to see what the problem was. He had noticed that the closer the girls were to becoming teens, the more they overreacted to things. This was probably nothing. He hoped.

“Hurry daddy, I’m bleeding.” Brian ran up the last three stairs.

“Calm down. It’ll be OK. Where are you bleeding?”

“My tummy and my back hurt, and now I’m bleeding. You know. Down there.” Crystal pointed to her private parts.

A light came on in Brian’s head. Oh that” he thought. Why does Trista have to be off the planet?

“Now honey, I know your mom told you this would be happening.”

“She didn't tell me how much it hurt. And I thought just a few drops of blood, but I’m gushing. I’m going to bleed to death.”

Too much information, Brian thought. Then he remembered he was the dad, and this was his job to handle.


And then there was this scene about a couple (who are incidentally trans) who are separated by the war, one on a military ship, zir spouse (and children) on a merchant ship that has been converted transporting refugees. Both ships end up at the same location at the same time needing repairs and they have the chance to take their first vacation since the war started. The war is winding down and they are discussing what they want to do afterwards. And since the kids are out with a park ranger on a hike...

Keiko put zir head on Riku’s shoulder. “Then it’s a plan. I can join the colony, and you join us when the war is over. Do you want to live in a town home or a farm? We can get a pretty nice place either way. Hasn’t been much to spend money on for either of us, so we have a fairly large nest egg. And I know people who will help me find a job.” Zie ended the discussion by tickling Riku’s ribs. Riku responded in kind, and the tickle attacks escalated until they were laughing and half on the couch and half on the floor.

At the point, Yuki came running in. “Moddy…” She slid to a stop and her jaw dropped at the sight of her parents. Keiko blushed and straightened zirself up, tidying mussed clothes. Riku rolled off the couch unto the floor as it seemed the easier choice from zir current position.


Tell us about your latest project

My most recently published book is To The Bitter End. It’s the second book of a science fiction trilogy about a government coup and the war to restore the legitimate government. This is the book about the war. (Book one is the lead up to the war and book three is the aftermath.)

It has space battles, sure. Can’t have a war book without battles. But the heart of the book is how the characters are reacting to this war which has been raging for six years. There are heroes, villains who come to regret what they did (and ones that don’t), three alien races, artificial intelligence. We spend time with people with PTSD or war wounds just trying to get through the day, refugees fleeing from the wreckage of their homes, kids who make a big mistake that ends up with someone dead. And there are moments when we see that ordinary life is still going on. And so very much more. It’s modelled very much on what I’ve read about World War II and its aftermath. The book ranges across many worlds and is quite epic in scope. There are so many characters each with a separate arc as well as an overarching arc to the book as we are led to the final battle for Earth.

The book and the first book of the trilogy are available here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JLYQ2QD

I have three others that will be published before summer. The first is the final volume of the trilogy - I’m about 70% done with the first draft. The other two are fantasy novels that are both in the final polishing stage. And I’m about 60% done with a short story collection about swords which came about because a friend suggested a piece of my fractal art would make a good book cover.

What is your favourite cake?

Does Boston Cream Pie count? It’s really a cake. I love it and so do the folks who are on my spaceship, the Ian Gom.


You can connect with Judith here:

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/judithmoffitt/
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Judith-Moffitt-Writer-Photographer-Artist-125563688846300
Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/20739659.Judith_Moffitt?from_search=true&from_srp=true

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Laura Hatchell. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment