Tuesday 12 May 2020

Tuesday Poem - Early Morning

She cries in her bed
Fake tears that clamour for attention
There's nothing wrong
It's 5.30 and she's woke us
Because she doesn't want to be alone
So I give in, no one else has
And I tell her
Get up if you want to 
So she does
But I don't, I go back to bed
There's another twenty-five minutes
Before the alarm blares
It's quiet
Then I hear a snuffle
A cry
More plaintive than last time
And guilt squirls in my stomach
I should've got up
I stare at the minutes counting up
She gets back into her bed
But now it's my turn to rise
And I see her and she calls for me
She's sad and deflated
I'm riddled and defensive
What a wonderful start to the day


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop

No comments:

Post a Comment