Wednesday 20 May 2020

A Slice of Cake With... Lynne Stringer

This week I am delighted to be having a Slice of Cake with author Lynne Stringer.

Lynne has been passionate about writing all my life. She was the editor of a small newspaper (later magazine) for seven years and currently works as a professional editor and proofreader.

Lynne wrote her YA sci-fi romance novel, The Heir, in 2010. The Heir is the first book in the Verindon trilogy and has now been joined by The Crown and The Reign. In October 2016 they were joined by Once Confronted, her YA contemporary drama.

What kind of stories do you write?

I write books set in another world I’ve created, mainly on the planet Verindon. It’s part of the Seven Systems and has two humanoid species—the Vendel and the Verindal. 


At the time I set my first series, The Verindon Trilogy, both races (they’re more commonly referred to as different races because they’re so similar) are at peace and are mostly working together. However, my latest book, The Verindon Alliance, takes place several hundred years earlier, at a time when war was a common thing on Verindon and both races fought constantly.

Can you describe your writing why?

I have a lot of stories in my head. Every so often, their voices get so loud I have to let them out. They knock on the inside of my mind until they’re released. I love exploring these stories and I’m delighted that other people seem to enjoy them too.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

This would be one of my favourites from The Verindon Alliance. It’s where Vashta, a Vendel princess, sees the heir to the Verindal throne for the first time:

The heir glanced between the two women before standing. Vashta reminded herself, while looking him over, that no Verindal could ever be considered handsome. They were a dangerous, conniving race and couldn’t be trusted. 

But if he’d been a Vendel, she would have given him a second glance. Probably a third and fourth as well. He was tall and broad-shouldered with an intelligent expression that showed no sign of fear despite being in enemy territory. She had no doubt she could take him down if they were ever in a fight but felt she would almost regret his defeat. 


Tell us about your latest project

Princess Vashta is the youngest of five Vendel princesses and has worked hard at honing her skills at fighting and flying, hoping that she will join their combat forces and distinguish herself in battle against their enemy, the Verindal.

However, when she meets Brandonin, the heir to the Verindal throne, it’s clear that he, like Vashta’s father, desires peace, not war. He tells them about a new threat that seems to come from somewhere else, but no one believes it. Even when the Vendel themselves are attacked by these creatures, they still believe it must be part of a Verindal plot.

But Vashta isn’t sure. She wants to overcome this new enemy, but the only way she can do that is by working with Brandonin against the governments of both their races, to see if they can thwart this unknown deadly threat.

What is your favourite cake?

I have a new favourite that I made for Christmas lunch. It’s called a Malteser Christmas Cake—it’s chocolate cake coated in chocolate ganache and covered with Maltesers. Delicious!


Thanks, Lynne - sounds amazeballs! You can keep in touch with Lynne on your favourite social media, she's everywhere:


Join me next week when I'm joined by Tessa Buckley. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round! 


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop

1 comment:

  1. Good one. I'm particularly keen to have a go making that malteaser cake. Yummo

    ReplyDelete