Monday 30 December 2019

My Books of 2019

Book read in December 2019

Recap: Nicky discovers she's not the last Callahan.

Review: Book 4 races along - we've got a lover's tiff and a new threat but everything was also dealt with very quickly. The new threat was viciously quashed, I thought they were supposed to be the good guys! Less coffee, less Grandma and a lot more Nicky which isn't a bad thing, we're getting to know her better. I did feel sad when she went to her parents' other house. I still feel like her best friend is going to betray her lol. I was a little disappointed that her developing magic was dealt with in one sentence, it would have been cool to see her try different spells. And now it seems they must go on a killing spree so... eep!

Recap: AJ is struggling to keep a job and pay rent until she gets an unusual offer. Cue being kidnapped by vampires, rescued by people with magic, learning she has elemental power and discovering shifters!

Review: Loved it! Engaging YA with a likeable main character, some great plot twists that actually make your heart hurt. Well-paced with a good cast, some standard villainy, some superb treachery and heart-fluttering romance. I loved the personification of the elementals and I absolutely have to read book two.



The Twelve Strange Days of Christmas by Syd Moore - 3 stars

Recap: A collection of short stories

Review: As with all short story collections there are some you really like and some you don't. I had a little difficulty placing some of the characters but that just my atrocious memory lol. The first story worried me as whilst I enjoyed the tale, I didn't like the stylistic dialogue very much and it was a slow ponderous intro but there were other gems and I particularly liked the spring-heeled Jack Christmas story.



The Wolf in the Whale by Jordanna Max Brodsky - 5 stars
Recap: Omat, the Innuit, struggles to find their place in society as a man's spirit trapped in a woman's body whilst dealing with Viking raiders and battling gods.

Review: Superb. Excellent story weaving and characterisation. I was gripped from the first page and loved the blend of cultures. There were some awful moments but such joy at the end. Recommended read.





A Shaper's Birthright by Karen MacRae - 5 stars

Recap: Anna and the Kings Guard must travel to find black and white peristones as well as two important books about shaper power but the Black Shaper Nystrieth's spies are after the same thing.

Review: I adored book one and was not disappointed with book two. There were shocks, surprises and twists and some truly poignant scenes. It's a middle book so it'll never have the speed of book one but I felt it flowed nicely, the characters continued to grow and the stakes continued to rise. I really enjoyed Anna's inner turmoil and how she overcomes things. The love story was unexpected and I have thoughts about what will happen in book three. A very enjoyable fantasy series.


Books Read in 2019

This past year I've read 77 books which is 15 more than last year but not quite my 100 books target. I review everything I read on Goodreads and have an enormous to-be-read list so I should happily find lots to read in 2020. 

Here are the books that got 5 stars from me in 2019:


  • Half the World by Joe Abercrombie
  • Leaps of Faith by A.M. Leibowitz
  • Death at the Priory by James Ruddick
  • Educated by Tara Westover
  • The Lost Plot by Genevieve Cogman
  • Akrad's Children by Jeanette O'Hagan
  • Jade by Rose Montague
  • The Harvest by Alannah Andrews
  • The Path of Swords by Martin Swinford
  • Star Mage Exile by J.J. Green
  • Bird Box by Josh Malerman
  • Snap by Belinda Bauer
  • The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton
  • The Lost War by Justin Lee Anderson
  • The Scattered and the Dead by Tim McBain
  • Gerald Oddman by T.W.M Ashford
  • Magister's Bane by Yvette Bostic
  • The Wolf in the Whale by Jordanna Max Brodsky
  • A Shaper's Birthright by Karen Macrae

You can read all my reviews and see the other 58 books I've read in 2019 on my Goodreads profile. You'll also be able to find all my books listed and maybe something will tickle your fancy to read in 2020.

It's time for the big question now. What will be my reading goal in 2020? I think I have to go for it again. I made it in 2017. I need to know it wasn't a fluke. That's right, people. I'm going for 100. Again. 


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop

No comments:

Post a Comment