Wednesday 9 October 2019

A Slice of Cake With... Jennifer Anderson

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with Jennifer Anderson.

Jennifer Anderson hails from the US. Illinois to be exact, the opposite end of the state from Chicago. There, among the cornfields and coal mines, she grew up exploring new worlds through books, while dreaming of creating her own worlds. With a degree in advertising, Jennifer became a copywriter, working mostly in broadcasting. She eventually landed at famed WSM Radio in Nashville, Tennessee and was married on the stage of the Grand Ole Opry. From there, she went on to write, produce, and edit syndicated country music radio programs. A few years ago, she decided to finally pursue her childhood dream of writing fiction. BUKU is her first novel. 

Jennifer lives in the Nashville area with her husband Mike, where she anticipates visits from her grandkids, snuggles cats, neglects housework, and heads up a mission project that encourages creativity among at-risk children. Sign up for her newsletter at jenniferandersonwriter.com and read her 4 best personal stories, including the hilarious tale of giving a ride to Star Trek star William Shatner.

What kind of books do you write?

I am a newbie author, so I only have one novel out, BUKU, and its prequel novella. They are action-adventure dystopian stories set in an apocalyptic world with elements of spirituality and romance. I think I covered it all!

Can you describe your writing why?

I am motivated by my ten-year-old self. I decided as a child that I wanted to write books one day. I loved reading and getting lost in someone else’s world, and I was convinced I could create those worlds myself. It took me a long time to find the time and the patience and the courage to do it, but I am delighted I finally did. 

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

This is from BUKU

The debate going on in her head was a spirited one. A part of her - the part of her that had learned to survive at a young age in a hostile world, that had been threatened by Mayor and beaten by Blue, perhaps the part of her that was her mother - that part told her to do her penance. Be strong and take it. Or be weak and give in. Whichever. The end goal was to save as many lives as possible. 

But the voice that always urged her to run free - the one that told her to dash across a field of buku to save a stranger, that accepted the secret gifts of the underground malcontent, that reminded her a weapon against the buku had yet to be found - that voice told her to fight. 

It had no real plan. It wasn’t particularly logical, and it had no response when she protested that people would die if she challenged Mayor and Blue. It simply reminded her that people were dying already. 

It didn’t shout, the voice in her head. Or argue at length. It merely whispered persistently. Insistently. Incessantly.

Fight. 



Tell us about your latest project

BUKU is my first and only novel so far, although there is a prequel novella called BUKU: Micah’s Story. Both are on Amazon. (BUKU has 54 positive reviews!) You can also get Micah’s Story for free by subscribing to my newsletter at jenniferandersonwriter.com. BUKU takes place high in the Rocky Mountains, because the world has been overrun by a new species created in a lab. Buku were supposed to solve the world’s energy problems. Instead, they destroyed everything. 

Iris is a medic trying to keep everyone alive. That’s not easy to do since the men who run her village value power above all else. She crosses paths with strangers and decides to help them, which puts her and them in danger from the powers that be. Turns out the strangers may know the secret to defeating buku. The story is about Iris finding enough strength.. and faith… to save the people she loves. 

What is your favourite cake?

My great-grandmother’s carrot cake! The secret is the topping – which is a mixture of evaporated milk, brown sugar, butter, pecans and coconut. You spread that over the top, brown it in the oven, and all of that rich flavour soaks down into the cake. It is awesome… even better than second and third day than it is the first.



Oh. My. Goodness! That sounds amazing! You can find both of Jennifer's books on Amazon.

Join me next week when I'll be having a slice of cake with Jennifer Anderson.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. 

1 comment:

  1. Fun interview! I have to read that story about William Shatner for sure. You caught my attention with that tease. Hoping to read Buku soon.

    ReplyDelete