Wednesday 23 October 2019

A Slice of Cake With... Brenna Singman

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with author Brenna Singman.

Brenna R. Singman is a fiction author and online writing coach. She was born and raised in NJ becoming the suburban princess to her family’s urban New York lineage. She had been writing fiction since childhood, updating novels and short stories piece by piece on fictionpress.com since she was 13. However, she never dreamed of pursuing writing as a career except a few fleeting moments in college. She never let herself believe how important those thrilling moments were as she created worlds, characters, and conflicts in her head.

In 2013, she graduated from Kean University in Union, NJ with a B.A. in theatre with teaching certification, and she transplanted herself to Atlanta, GA in pursuit of a life of teaching theatre (and enjoying warmer weather!). She learned quickly that neither classroom teaching nor theatre was her truest passion, and she took on a few menial jobs that “paid the bills”. Her writing continued to fall by the wayside, only propped by events like NaNoWriMo.

It wasn’t until early 2017 at 26 years old that she was inspired by other struggling artists who didn’t let excuses stand in their way and even live streamed their creative process! She couldn’t deny her passion for writing any longer. Brenna began live streaming her writing on July 1, 2017 and slowly built the Virtual Write In. She writes every weekday, making herself available for conversation and encouragement, but NEVER for self-deprecation nor excuses.

Now, apart from novels, Brenna writes collections of flash fiction pieces and short stories of various genres on fictionpress and hosts her daily writing group on twitch.tv where she gets to do what she loves most among fellow authors on a similar journey. When she’s not writing, Brenna is likely baking, playing board games, or taking long walks with her brother while contemplating the vicissitudes of life.

What kind of books do you write?

I write books that give young protagonists responsibility and make them face the consequences of their choices. With a touch of magic, of course! I like to set high fantasy style magic in a contemporary setting. As fun as it is to get whisked away to another world, there’s something about letting myself believe in magic at my own front door that sparks more plot bunnies.

Can you describe your writing why?

I write to get thoughts out of my head that I’m not well versed in expressing otherwise. A lot of the plots I come up with, at their core, are issues that I want to talk about. Sometimes they’re situational, sometimes it’s something happening in current events and I don’t want to start an argument so I suss it out through fiction. Most often I use the characters to explore my opinion on a matter while feeling out opposing viewpoints where my thoughts are challenged. No matter what, I like to share a lesson, and it’s particularly important for me to seek out lessons that kids and teens can grasp.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

From Dual Nature (Principles of Magic #1). In a conversation where protagonist Kitty learns more about magic.

“...It’s a much more modern way to form these diagrams. The old ways were drawing lines in dirt and chanting at the moon in a circle of lavender and iron filings. I promise this is preferable, but some people still like to dance in the woods these days. I don’t care as long as their intent is clear and good.”

“Like witchy stuff?” Kitty asked.

“Can’t blame the pilgrims for not having internet in the 17th century.”


Tell us about your latest project

My debut novel, Dual Nature, released on August 5th, 2019, which is also my birthday! It’s a YA contemporary fantasy about an overachieving thirteen year old who thinks she can tackle anything that crosses her path, including learning magic! But she faces off with a spell gone wrong that forces her to stare down her buried fears or she isn’t the only one who’ll face the consequences. 

This story and these characters have been with me for over a decade, and it’s baffling and incredible that I can finally hold the book in my hands and see these characters come to life.

What is your favourite cake?

Carrot cake cheesecake. Number one. No questions asked. Two perfect desserts combined into one!


That's a new one on me, Brenna - but it looks yummy! You can keep in touch with Brenna and her writing via her website and on Twitter.

Join me next week when I'll be having a slice of cake with Arthur Daigle.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment