Tuesday 4 April 2017

Who Am I - Brain to Books CyCon


Congratulations! 
You just stumbled across the next stop in the B2B CyCon SciFan & LitRPG Blog Hop Hunt!


Welcome, welcome, welcome. I am sci-fi & fantasy writer Claire Buss and this is my blog But I Don't Like Salad - an important stance to announce and stand-by in this dangerous climate of clean eating.

My earliest work included a direct rip-off of LOTR, I was eleven. There may be short snippets still in existence but we really don't have to talk about that. I used to write a lot when I was younger, then I turned into an awkward 13 year old and stopped sharing my work. Then I became a stroppy seventeen year old and stopped writing. It wasn't until 2014 that I really got back into the craft with great desire and determination. I wrote The Gaia Effect in five months as part of a writing competition and now that book is available to buy on Amazon in paperback & ebook - how amazing is that?

The Gaia Effect is a dystopian novel set two hundred years in the future after a mass extinction event has sterilised the human population and the ruling entity, Corporation, have created isolated, safe, cities for humanity to live in and be controlled. All babies are grown and allocated to couples as Corporation see fit and natural pregnancies are unheard of. The story follows a young couple, Kira & Jed Jenkins as they go to pick up their baby and try to figure out how to be parents. Then their friends start falling pregnant naturally and there have been several sightings of a mysterious blue lady. She is Gaia - the spirit of the Earth - who is trying to bridge the gap between man and nature.

I am also currently working on a fantasy novel called The Rose Thief. The Emperor, may he live for ever and ever, is very proud of his beautiful rose garden. So much so he has magically enhanced his red rose with the power of love. A wonderful idea. Until someone steals the rose and love starts to die. It's up to Ned Spinks, Chief Thief-Catcher and his motley band of catchers to stop the rose thief and return love.

Is my work science fantasy? Yes I believe it is. The Gaia Effect deals with what could happen to our current society and looks at the different ways technology may advance and invade our lives.  The Rose Thief has magic and Fae and an evil sorcerer - I am doing my best to ensure it does not have multiple cliches. I am a great believer in the fact that all fiction is fantasy, it is designed to take you away from the grind of the everyday mundane whether it is set in a recognisable city such as London or somewhere as fantastical as a spaceship in another galaxy.

You can of course sign up to my blog to keep up to date with my weekly musings. I can also be found on various social media sites - choose your favourite link below!

Twitter: @grasshopper2407


Thanks for stopping by my blog! To continue along the hunt, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment