Sunday 8 November 2015

30-day Writing Challenge - Day 17

A quote you try to live by


I remember the first time I heard Sir Terry Pratchett speak.  As he took to the stage he belted out 'Never Give Up!'   The entire crowd, bar me, roared back 'Never Surrender!'  It wasn't the first time I have felt ridiculously out of my depth and yes I had seen the film before that day.  I just hadn't clung onto the catchphrase.

There are many good ones.  I particularly like the one used in an episode of Buffy - 'Carpe Diem' 'Fish of the Day?'  The dialogue goes on but the point I'm trying to make is that living by a quote seems like a bit of a odd thing to do.  I have morals and scruples and probably a few loose marbles rolling around the place.  I try not to be a bad person and usually feel extremely guilty when my temper gets the better of me.

I do believe that you give what you get and considering I've been rather miserable and grumpy lately, the rest of my year doesn't look too sparkly.  Karma is a bitch and what comes around, goes around. But are of all these just your subconscious trying to feel better?  If the universe really was trying to balance everything out then why do we have over 250 news channels telling us about the latest atrocities to befell our fellow man, usual committed by his neighbour.

I shall leave you with an extract from the Wiccan Rede - a rather comforting collection of words:

An ye harm none, do what ye will.
What ye send forth comes back to thee,
so ever mind the rule of Three.
Follow this with mind and heart,
Merry ye meet and merry ye part.







No comments:

Post a Comment