Sunday 28 November 2010

I love Sci Fi

I have been a closet sci fi/fantasy fan for years and years and years and eons.  Finally I feel comfortable enough in my own skin to release the inner sci fi fanatic and say to the world - yes!  I heart sci fi!  Yes!  I am a geek!  Yes I am beyond excited that I won tickets to the SFX Weekender woooooooooooohoooooooooooo.

And yes I know it has become more mainstream and is no longer quite as taboo as it was but the fact remains that if you announce your happy geekdom in sci-fi & fantasy people do take half a step back and look at you from the side of their eyes (try it, you'll see what I mean).  They will automatically assume you are a Trekkie and have rubber ears and know how to speak Klingon and yes just because I could potential do all those things doesn't mean I am socially inept in any way.  I'm pretty much socially inept in my usual capacity so at least feeling comfortable enough to admit to the sci fi love is a step forward.

The SFX Weekender has a masked ball of sorts - a sort of sci-fi come as you wish.  My brain may go into meltdown as I consider my myriad of options - sadly most of it either includes full body colour change (think green, blue, white/grey), spandex or not a whole lot of anything.  But even that doesn't put me off!  Bring on the latex and the false ears and hey this is real dressing up and it's not even Halloween!!  I could be zinging. 

I think the appeal of sci fi/fantasy is the knowledge that it probably would never happen but if you could imagine that it would then wow -what sights we would see.  The only limits are our imaginations and I don't know about you, but my imagination is endless.  These are good times my friend, good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment