Thursday 9 September 2010

Real Food

I have a confession to make.  Today is the first time this week I've had a proper evening meal - actually make that a proper meal fullstop!  And it was delicious, a sausage fusilli bake with peppers and onions and mushrooms and tomatoes.  It tasted fresh and made me feel so much better after a hectic week - why have I not being doing it everyday??

Whenever things get hectic or stressful it seems that food is the first thing to go, the body says its hungry but the mind says just grab anything.  Supermarkets don't help with their enormous range of crap - foods that just don't taste nice but cost us pence to buy and take less time than the decision to buy it to cook.  Compare home-made with shop bought and it's a no brainer.  Everytime I buy convenience food I am so disappointed by the taste and mentally flog myself for doing it again!!

It is so easy to make delicious food and it can be so much fun.  I am currently watching the Great British Bake Off, I am a little behind and currently watching the bread episode but I have to say it is thoroughly enjoyable if not a little bit exasperating.  The contestants are meant to be passionate about baking.  The first technical challenge is to make a Victoria Sponge.  No problem - its either 6,6,6 and 3 or 8,8,8 and 4 depending on how big you want to make it.  But no.  The contestants didn't seem to be aware of this - some of them tried to mix the cake by throwing everything in together!!!  Don't they know that you cream the butter and sugar first and then add the flour and eggs little by little beating well - with a wooden spoon I add.  None of this electric whisking malarky.

Why didn't I know about this competition!!

I consider myself lucky to have had food allergies from early childhood because it meant I didnt have to eat 'rubbish'.  Everything was made from scratch and has instilled within me the concept that it isn't any more hassle to make your own sauces, pies, cakes etc then it is to go and buy them.  It's just the hustle and bustle of modern day life that makes you second guess yourself and think actually I don't have time to do this.  Well I have had enough - good food is good food for a reason so no more excuses.  Watch this space and hopefully not the expanding waistline lol!

1 comment:

  1. I hate to say I told you so, but.....I told you so :-P

    ReplyDelete