Wednesday 26 July 2023

A Slice of Cake With... Dagmar Rokita

Today I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Dagmar Rokita. 

Dagmar is a Polish writer and an artist. She writes and illustrates dark sci-fi series called Bloodstained Skies. There are two things that inspire her: imaginary world of geek culture and the deepest corners of human psychology. Huge doses of heavy metal are her creative fuel. She wants to become a famous artist because she needs money to buy sophisticated food for her cat.

What kind of books do you write?

I write a smooth blend of epic cinematic action and gritty character development. I often see two groups of people arguing with each other: one of them prefers entertainment for the very sake of entertainment and the second group wants deep and philosophical stories. I’m the one who says “why not both?” I also enjoy creating advanced civilisations with ancient/medieval aesthetics (Celtic space elves and dragon cyborgs are my favourite). 

Can you describe your writing why?

There are a few things:
- I want to get rid of some thoughts and fears. Almost all of my characters have a little part of my own problems, phobias and worries. When I write, I unleash all my negative emotions in a safe and controlled way.
- I want to be proud of something I did by myself, something I made with my own hands, or something I did from the very beginning to the very end.
- I enjoy challenging the readers. Many people have short attention spans, they prefer sanitized art and they don’t want to leave their comfort zone. I want to make them wonder who is good and who is bad, pay attention to details, or just make them step out of the comfort zone (or at least that’s what I’m trying to do...)

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

I love describing weird technology and this giant tank controlled by minds is my favourite (from Bloodstained Skies: The Core of Rage).

The Kehrians stood on circular platforms, facing the wall. The respirators gave them oxygen, and virtual reality goggles covered their eyes. They held their hands raised over their heads like entranced shamans who wanted to summon their Devi with a sorcerous mantra. Thick controlling gloves, linked with the board supercomputer, let them pilot the Katrikeya precisely through the slightest of moves and gestures.

Taking the mid place, the Technician Operator grimaced on hearing an automatic communication in his headphones.

“Distance to the target: fifteen…”

“Yeah,” he mumbled. “Technician Cannoneer, ignore these data.”

“Why?” asked Cannoneer, still standing motionlessly like a statue.


Tell us about your latest project

I’m slowly finishing my 2nd book Bloodstained Skies: The Vanquisher of Kings I. It’s not the sequel of my previous book, Bloodstained Skies: The Core of Rage. I plan to start a new trilogy in the same universe, where I will show the events from around 1000 years before “The Core…”. It may be a short novel or a long novella, I’m not sure how long it will be. I would describe it as “what if Tarantino directed The Lion King”.

What is your favourite cake?

I have two. Apple pie is the best. I’m a big fan of sweet-and-sour things, and some shortbread with apples from my garden is absolutely delicious.

Cheesecake is my number two, it’s soft and not too sweet. But only without raisins. How can people destroy this masterpiece with raisins!?


Connect with Dagmar here:

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Naima Haviland. 


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment