Thursday 15 June 2023

A Slice of Cake With... Bernadette Rowley

This week I am delighted to have a slice of cake with author Bernadette Rowley.

Bernadette is a lover of epic fantasy who is a veterinarian by day and an author by night. She is currently published in the genre of fantasy/paranormal romance with eight books, all set in her fantasy world of Thorius.

Along with sword and sorcery, dashing heroes and stunning heroines, Bernadette includes strong healing themes in many of her books - an element which is central to her everyday job.

Bernadette lives in Brisbane, Australia, with the four heroes in her life - her husband Michael and three grown sons. She is a member of several writer organisations including Queensland Writer’s Centre, Romance Writers Australia, Vision and North Queensland Romance Writers. Bernadette’s other interests include watching and scoring cricket, singing and music.

What kind of books do you write?

I do write fantasy but my special niche is epic fantasy romance so think Game of Thrones but with the romance front and centre. Political intrigue, magic, healing and battles are major sub plots to the romance. My character Alecia Zialni is the pivotal protagonist in my Queenmakers Saga of eleven books which follows her ‘hero’s journey’.

We get to see a new couple (other than Alecia and hunky shifter Vard) exploring their relationships in six of the books and then an epic finale in the last three in the series.

Can you describe your writing why?

It’s a compulsion and a goal all in one. I do get itchy when I’m not penning a new story so there’s that. However, the process I really love is the editing. I find draft a bit of a grind much of the time but there’s an incredible sense of accomplishment when you get new words on the page.

And the goal is to retire from my day job (veterinarian) and write full time. At the moment, that’s just not possible, so the juggling continues.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

Oh my goodness! I can’t imagine picking one but my mind immediately leapt to The Lord and the Mermaid. I’m incredibly proud of this story so let’s see… 

A sneaking, murdering mermaid. Fury swept him and he clenched his teeth to hold in the shriek that fought its way from his throat. At last he’d found a small piece of revenge against the sea nymphs; a life for his brother’s. He stared at the perfect features: full pale lips, high cheekbones, long reddish lashes, placed in a heart-shaped face that had likely lured dozens of sailors to their deaths. And that bosom! No man could gaze upon it without wanting to touch the luscious curves. Oh yes, this monster had all the tools of the trade, but she’d not kill another man if he had anything to say about it.

Nik pulled the knife from his boot and raised it, ready to deliver a fatal strike. Something stayed his hand. A kernel of sanity urged him to use this being to discover what happened to Jon. Suddenly, he was looking into brilliant sea-green eyes. A keening song sliced through his skull and he stiffened, the knife falling from his hand. 

Tell us about your latest project

My latest project is called To Wed A Queen and is a novella about Alecia’s marriage to Vard Anton, the sexy shifter I mentioned earlier. I figured this couple needed an actual wedding to seal the deal so readers can have that ‘ah’ moment. I’ve put my faithful readers through quite a lot, wondering if this couple would ever have their HEA, so I want to make it up to them. But even so, the road to the altar isn’t smooth for Alecia. Sorry!

What is your favourite cake?

Great question! I actually love cheesecake of all sorts. If you want to know a real cake favourite, then I love Black Forest Cake for the cherries and cream…and I would have to eat it with a good strong cappuccino.

You can connect with Bernadette here:

Instagram - @rowleybernadette
Twitter – @bt_rowley
BookBub - bookbub.com/profile/bernadette-rowley
Website - bernadetterowley.com
Facebook - facebook.com/bernadetterowleyfantasy
Pinterest - pinterest.com.au/bernadetterowleyfantasy

Join me next week when I will be having an extra, extra slice of cake with Tim Walker.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please get in touch. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake at Kofi - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find out more about her books on her website clairebuss.co.uk. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. Never miss out on future posts by following me

No comments:

Post a Comment