Sunday 17 November 2019

Half-Way Through

It's Mid-November and we are half-way through NaNoWriMo!

Congratulations to everyone who is still writing - you've made it this far. Now, I don't know about you but I'm behind on my word count. I'm at 20,770 out of 50,000 words and I've got 13 days to write another 29,230 words which work out at... roughly 2,250 words per day.

So for the stay at home mum who has no time to write it could be a challenge. How can I try to manage this?

I've been dabbling with scheduling my social media and using a website called Later to set up posts for Instagram and Twitter as well as using the new (to me) scheduling tools for my Facebook groups and pages.

I've been attempting to stay on top of that pesky housework stuff by doing a little regularly rather than letting it mount up and I've been menu planning so I don't have to think too much about what to cook each day. It sounds like I'm super organised but honestly, that's so not me!

The other thing that I've done this year different to previous NaNo years is a little bit of planning. Now usually I'm a discovery writer with no idea of what's going to happen next but last month I worked through a planning guide and made some notes on my story arc, character descriptions, motivations and it's really helped. I still had a scary moment when I stumbled seven chapters in and realised I had no plot LOL. That's the fun of NaNo I guess.

To everything who is storming ahead - way to go! To everyone who has fallen behind - don't worry. It is not the be all and end all if you don't make your 50,000 word count. Be kind to yourself and enjoy your writing time.


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment