Saturday 29 December 2018

My Books of 2018

I only read one book in December, it's been a very busy month! So there's no book review vlog this month. I did enjoy The Traitor by Seth Dickinson though so here is my review.

Recap: Baru's home is conquered by the Empire of Masks and she is forced to adhere to their rule. Excelling at school she is sent to be a diplomat in rebellious Aurdwynn but there are plots afoot!

Review: When a book is called The Traitor you know there are going to be some turncoats but the final reveal was gobsmacking. A huge cast of characters which did get a little lost at times but Baru was played with finesse and I'll definitely read the next one!

I was going to also do my top ten books of 2018 but I read 62 books this year and 26 got five-star reviews so it seems only fair that I share those books with you as well.

But first, a shout-out to one of my indie author friends, C H Cleppit, who co-hosts with me on our #sparklybadgersunite Twitter event, co-runs our Sparkly Badgers writing group on Facebook and co-edited our first book together - Sparkly Badgers' Christmas Anthology. I read two books in her Lineage series last year and they both got five stars - Lineage: Of Blood and Lineage: The Memory of the Sphinx.

Here are the rest of my 5-star reads for 2018.



  • The Snow Witch by Matt Wingett
  • Huntress Moon by Alexandra Sokoloff
  • Golden Hill by Francis Spufford
  • Sea of Mammals by James Armer
  • The Gardener's Daughter by KA Hitchens
  • Heart of the Mountain by Jeanette O'Hagan
  • Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine
  • Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing
  • The Food of Love by Amanda Prowse
  • Red Sister by Mark Lawrence
  • The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham
  • Raising Fire by James Bennett
  • Half a King by Joe Abercrombie
  • The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
  • Among Others by Jo Walton
  • Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
  • The Procurement of Souls by Benjamin Hope
  • Children of the Furnace by Brin Murray
  • This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay
  • The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell
  • The Magician's Curse by Linda G Hill
  • Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine
  • Snowflake by Heide Goody and Iain Grant
  • The Boy on the Bridge by MR Carey

You can read all my reviews and see the other 36 books I've read in 2018 on my Goodreads profile. You'll also be able to find all my books listed and maybe something will tickle your fancy to read in 2019.

It's time for the big question now. What will be my reading goal in 2019? I think I have to go for it again. I made it in 2017. I need to know it wasn't a fluke. That's right, people. I'm going for 100.



Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop

No comments:

Post a Comment