Wednesday 6 October 2010

Enforced Idleness

I sit and I sit and I sit.  The people rush back and forth outside my window, red car, blue car, black car.  I sit and I sit and I sit.  The shadows play across the front yard whilst the clouds whip across the sky dancing to their own tune.  I sit and I sit and I sit.  The seconds skitter across the minutes which zip around the hours and the day grows longer as the week grows.  I sit and I sit and I sit.

I am forced to be idle.  This is not a natural state for me.  I like to be busy, bee like as I often say.  And yet this week, I am netted, restricted, forced to remain static.  And I don't like it one little bit - no sirree!  I like to know that I need to be here by then and that this must be done by that time and that it all falls apart if X doesn't make it to Y whilst B chugs along to A and 4 gets jiggy with 6.  This week I am signed off work which has one good point - I have time to study for my looming exams.  But I am forced to be immobile because everytime I try to move my neck says nooooooooo, what are you doing!!!  Even sitting infront of the computer for a short period of time is extremely testing - who knew the neck was so important?  I mean we knew it was important but not to the point that... ok, ok, its very important.  Moving on.

Who doesn't idly wish that they could have more spare time to do nothing and chillax?  (chillax - what an awful word, we are so busy we can't chill out and relax at the same time, we have to chillax - ugh!)  Who doesn't wake up on a cold, dark, wet morning and wish for a duvet day?  Who doesn't despair the daily grind that seems to beat all life out of you and wish for idyllic days doing nothing?  Well let me tell you, when you get it, you don't know what to do with it, you don't know how to fill your time and you certainly wish for it to be over soon (sounds like something else beginning with M, I'll let the cynical ones work it out).

Time is our fickle master.  When we want more we get less and when we don't want it spare it is there in abundance.  Oh well - four days until I can go back to work and a week and a half before I can start leaping around with bags of energy again.  All I have to do in the meantime is try not to fall into a coma and eat a million million calories.  How hard can that be?  As I sit, and sit, and sit.

No comments:

Post a Comment