Wednesday 22 April 2020

A Slice of Cake With... Stacie Eirich

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with Stacie Eirich.

Stacie is a writer and mother who reads poetry by moonlight and dreams of traveling beyond the stars. She's published poetry & stories in Scarlet Leaf Review, MUSED, Wee Tales and Ruby Magazine. Author of The Dream Chronicles, a fantasy series for middle-grade readers, she lives north of New Orleans with her family and two feisty furballs - writing, mothering, and dreaming.

What kind of stories do you write?

I write stories of wonder, magic and adventure, stories that allow readers to enter new worlds or imagine our world in a different way. The kind of stories that I loved reading as a child and teen, and still love reading as an adult. 


I also write stories that have characters with strong connections to their family and friends, characters who are real and emotional and flawed. No matter the genre I’m writing (fantasy, science-fiction, romance, etc.) it’s important to me to write strong, relatable characters that readers will want to root for. 

Can you describe your writing why?

I write to make sense of the world and my experiences, their sights and sounds and smells. But I also write to go beyond the world and into my imagination, allowing myself to feel and wonder and dream. 

The stories and poems in my head are what inspire me to connect with others and seek new experiences; they are the reason I get up in the morning, brew a fresh cuppa – and get writing. 

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

“You must prove yourself to me, show me that you are capable of this quest. Find the place where I’ve hidden the stone, the place where it now rests. Within the rock lies hidden a single flower, its song will help you unlock its magical power. Use its melody to pass those who stand before, the key you carry will open the door. You will not have help from the dragons, nor from I, Orion, Warrior and Guardian of the Stone. This you must do on your own.” And in a single breath he raised his great wings into the air, lifted his paws to the sky and disappeared into the darkness.” 

This is a paragraph from Chapter 6 of Dragon Kingdom & The Wishing Stone, the third and final novella in my fantasy series for middle-grade readers, The Dream Chronicles. It’s the chapter where my young characters meet Orion, the Griffin – who is at first rough and intimidating, but ultimately one of the most loyal, kind and awesome characters in the story. Here he speaks in rhyme to give the protagonists a riddle to solve and a quest to fulfil. Though I sometimes struggle with dialogue as a writer, I enjoyed writing this rhyme and, later, richer dialogue as my young protagonists got to know Orion better. 


Tell us about your latest project

I have this little dream of a European vacation, complete with plenty of visits to seaside cafes, bookshops, Shakespearean plays and Italian operettas. The idea of developing my dream holiday into a story began brewing in my bedside notebook last year, and this year I decided to give the story wings. 

Tentatively titled ‘A Highland Holiday’ – the story follows 30-year-old Editor’s Assistant Fiona, as she travels to Scotland in search of a holiday away from her stressful job in NYC, time to pursue her writing – and the Scottish man of her dreams. I’m currently sharing chapters on Wattpad as I write, and love connecting with my readers there! You can find me, Fiona’s story and others there @spacetodream. 

What is your favourite cake?

My Mom’s made-from-scratch, double layer Red Velvet cake is the hands-down winner, always! 


You can connect with Stacie on her website, Facebook, Twitter and on Instagram

Join me next week when I'm joined by Ken Goudsward. 

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round! 


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop

No comments:

Post a Comment