Wednesday 3 July 2019

A Slice of Cake With...Nix Whittaker

Nix Whittaker is an English teacher who lives in the central North Island of New Zealand in the shadow of an active volcano. Nix Whittaker writes in Science Fiction and Fantasy/steampunk. 

She writes because she ran out of books to read. When she was young she discovered she was dyslexic and read books to improve her spelling. Her love of reading started then as she immersed herself in Terry Pratchett and Mercedes Lackey. Now she is more into Patricia Briggs and Anne Bishop and they have all certainly influenced her writing.

What kind of books do you write?

I have everything from people on other planet, dragons who changed history or tattoos which can give you superpowers. I’m busy writing a book with shapeshifting foxes in Canada.

Can you describe your writing why?

I’m dyslexic but undiagnosed as a child so I thought I could fix my spelling by reading more books. I ran out of books to read so I had to start writing my own as the stories in my head don’t let me sleep at night.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

A black and white sketch of the naginata graced half the page and it didn’t give it a name. Despite Haku’s claim that the Yokai were different from the Japanese people, they had one thing in common. Naginata, a woman’s weapon, didn’t get as much flash and ceremony as the weapons usually wielded by men. It didn’t even have a name. She was tempted to get her followers to name it but then it might end up being Sticky Mcpointy Stick. 



Tell us about your latest project

I have a lot of things on the fire at the moment. I just put up on preorder the second book in my model humans series. That is a story set on another planet with genetically engineered people. But I also just released the first book in my latest series, called Lady Golden Hand. Set in my Wyvern Chronicles world it is my first attempt at a mystery. Great fun to write. But the snippet above is from my next book which is also the first in a series and my first Urban Fantasy book with Kitsune in Canada.

What is your favourite cake?

Mud cake. Anything with huge amounts of chocolate and very little icing. I don’t like icing. But mud cake with chocolate ganache hits all my cravings for chocolate.


An excellent choice! Check out all of Nix's books on her Amazon page here.

Join me next week when I'll be having a slice of cake with Jennifer Powell Reynolds.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

You can also support my writing endeavours and buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop. 


No comments:

Post a Comment