Wednesday 2 January 2019

A Slice of Cake With... Ricardo Garcia

This week I am delighted to have a slice a cake with fellow indie author Ricardo Garcia.

Ricardo is one of the authors belonging to what many regards as the Golden Age of science fiction in his country of birth, Cuba, back in the 80s. A former Assistant Professor of English, his work has appeared in English, Spanish, Italian, Galician, Bulgarian, and Esperanto.


What kind of books do you write?

Virtually all of my stories are some sort of “what if?” What if weightlifting as a sport weren’t done with your muscles? What if we could make it to Alpha Centauri A 5? What if the Moon were not our natural satellite? What if this, what if that…

Can you describe your writing why?

I just have a story in my head, and I have to put it in writing. I can go for a long while without writing until it hits me—and then I simply have no choice. It’s write it or I won’t have any peace.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most

“This is Assistant Director of Operations Thomas I. Rappaport, F. B. I.,” he intoned with what sounded like practiced ease. “Under the terms of the Artificial Intelligence Witness Act, you’re hereby required to render me or any other duly accredited law enforcement officer whatever assistance may be in your power to offer, on request. You have the right to refuse to offer testimony when said action can compromise the integrity of your sentience due to prior orders, by so stating at any time. In that case, a counselor certified by People For The Ethical Treatment Of Non-Human Intelligences will be assigned to you.”
 I gave a mental whistle. Yes, sirree—a lot had gone on all these years while I was prancing on Hope. It sure had to have been quite the case that had started all this; I made a mental note to look up the details sometime later. 
“Do you understand your rights as I explain them to you?” 


From Time of the Phoenix Man, Amazon, 2013



Tell us about your latest project

The most recent thing has been my participation in The Witness Paradox, an anthology of time travel stories edited by Martin Wilsey. It has been fabulous to find myself in the company of other like-minded people with amazing stories to share.  




What is your favourite cake?

A toughie, that one—I would say tiramisu if it qualified as cake. If not, then probably a Mexican delicacy, Tres Leches. 


Tiramisu most certainly counts as cake! It's one of my favourites too so I can't wait to get baking. For those baking along, here is an easy recipe from Good Food

You can follow Ricardo on Amazon.

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with Jacqueline Simmonds.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

Support my writing endeavours, buy me tea & cake - it's what makes the world go round!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop

No comments:

Post a Comment