Wednesday 19 December 2018

A Slice of Cake With... A.W. Cross

This week I am delighted to have a slice a cake with fellow indie author A.W. Cross.

A. W. Cross has had a passion for all things science fiction ever since she fell in love with Leonard Nimoy when she was 12. She currently resides in Canada, where it's too damn cold, and writes science fiction and science fiction romance. Her next project, the Foxwept Array, is a series of SFR fairy tale retellings and will debut in January 2019.

What kind of books do you write?

I write books with female heroines that focus of the social aspects of science fiction. What makes us human? How does that change with the advent of transhumanism? What effect does advances in science have on relationships, a society, it’s culture, and their perception of humanity. I also love to explore moral complexity—especially those grey areas that make characters more flawed and interesting.



Can you describe your writing why?

I write because I love stories. I love their structure, their tropes, and their characters—everything. Stories are an incredibly human endeavour, and everyone has one. I’m also motivated by the idea of legacy. My son (when he’s much older of course,) will be able to see aspects of me through my writing that he’ll never get to see in person, and it’s also a way he can visit me when I’m no longer here.

Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most.

I found it impossible to choose favourites (I always feel bad for those I don’t choose, lol), so here is an excerpt from the first release in my new series, Rose, Awake, a short story science fiction romance retelling of Briar Rose.

“Hello?” Rose called. “Mother? Father? Is anyone here?” Her voice echoed through the great chambers, returning to her empty-handed.
Another sound, however, caught her attention. The whir of a spinning wheel rose from the landing, an old woman vigorously working the pedal.
She wasn’t there before.
“Hello?” she called to the woman, the word thin in the heavy air. “My name is—” But the old woman had disappeared, leaving the fascinating machine behind.
A spinning wheel. The very thing the evil fairy had cursed her with.
Almost against her will, Rose climbed the stairs, unable to turn her gaze away from it. Higher and higher, she climbed, until she stood at last in the shaft of sunlight on the landing, the spinning wheel before her. Made from a deep auburn cherry wood, the wheel was inlaid at every joint with burnished gold, and Rose’s hands ached to run over the smooth, glossy wood.
Such a beautiful thing.
At the far end of the contraption from the wheel towered the spindle, a long, sharp-tipped shaft of gold. Wrapped thickly around it was what appeared to be hair—Rose’s hair, twisted coils of shining silver-white. Compulsively, she lifted her hand to stroke the glossy strands, mesmerized by the silken loops.
“Rose!”
She looked back.
Ani stood at the bottom of the staircase, one hand on the baroque railing. Her eyes shone through the gloom. “It’ll be okay.”
“What do you—” The spindle pierced the flesh of Rose’s finger, a stinging pain outlined in brilliance. Horrified, Rose stared at her hand, at the tiny puncture, at the thin rivulet of crimson blood winding down the golden spike.
“It’s okay, Rose,” Ani called, her voice far away. “We’re fighting for you. You have to fight too.”

Fight? Fight what? Again, the insidious hum from her dream reached her, just as bright light flickered behind her eyes.

Tell us about your latest project

In January 2019, I’ll be releasing a new series of science fiction fairy tale retellings, called the Foxwept Array. The first release (early Jan) is a free short story, Rose, Awake, which, as I mentioned above, is an SFR retelling of Briar Rose. The first full-length novel will also be released in January and is a Pinocchio (Collodi version) retelling called Pine, Alive. Imagine if Pinocchio was a female android who never wanted to be a real girl! I’m also starting a spanking new monthly newsletter that will focus exclusively on science fiction romance. I’m thrilled with this new direction of my work, as it combines so many of the things I love.

What is your favourite cake?

Ktarian Chocolate Puff! Or Chocolate Soufflé cake.


I'm not sure I'll be able to get a Ktarian chocolate puff cake but I am certain we could try a chocolate souffle cake! For those of you baking along, here is a recipe to try

You can keep in touch with A.W on her website, follow her on Twitter and Facebook.

Join me next week when I will be looking back at the cakes of 2018.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.

Feel free to Buy Me A Coffee to go with this delicious slice of cake and support my writing endeavours.


Claire Buss is a multi-genre author and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop

No comments:

Post a Comment