Tuesday 4 September 2018

Tuesday Poem - Back to School

The summer holidays have been grand
We've done nearly everything planned
The sun has shone and the rain came down
I've mostly turned upside down each frown
We've visited family and seen good friends
At times it felt like the holiday would never end
We went to the beach and swam in the sea
We walked past lots of flowers and counted the bees
A hike to visit the castle ruins up on the hill
And we've definitely eaten our entire fill
Of Greggs sausage rolls and Happy Meals
Not a big fan but he had all the feels
And now it's the night before the best day so far
We're going back to school, we're raising the bar
It's a brand new year, new teacher, new class
I'm hoping he doesn't give them too much sass
I'm excited he's going but I know I'll be sad
Hoping naively I don't miss him too bad
I feel sure home time will soon come around
And he'll chatter excitedly in the playground
So let's raise our mugs in an exhausted cheer
They go back to school, it's finally here!


Claire Buss is a multi-genre writer and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

2 comments: