Wednesday 15 August 2018

A Slice of Cake With... Joanne Van Leerdam

This week I am delighted to be having a slice of cake with fellow indie author, poet and blogger Joanne Van Leerdam

Joanne Van Leerdam has been writing ever since she learned how to hold a pencil, but really only began to take her poetry seriously over the last few years. In addition to poetry, she blogs regularly and also writes the occasional short story. 

Joanne loves reading, crosswords, sudoku, and colouring for relaxation. She plays piano and is a keen photographer.

Joanne is a teacher of English, History and Drama / Production. She is director/producer of her school's musical every year and is an active member and performer in her local theatre company.

She is proud to be both an Australian and an honorary Canadian.

Joanne runs WordyNerdBird as a Facebook page, but also as a business through which she publishes her books.

She does her own graphic design work, producing custom design projects in addition to her own range of magnets, cards and promotional material.  


What kind of books do you write?

I write in a number of different styles. I write poetry that is a response to my own experiences and inspired by other people around me. It’s honest and relatable, and sometimes it’s quite dark. I also write scary stories that usually involve someone who fully deserves it getting what’s coming to them. It’s never splatter for splatter’s sake – I try to be cleverer than that. 


Can you describe your writing why?

I write because the ideas and the words burn inside me until I do. It’s the best therapy I’ve ever had.


Share with us your favourite passage from the book you enjoyed writing the most.

I think my favourite thing I’ve written so far is my poem, Nocturne. It’s in my book, Nova, which has won several awards. I guess that means I’m not the only one who loves it. 



Tell us about your latest project.

Curious Things is a collection of thirteen creepy stories about a black cat named Friday, who is no ordinary cat. Although his nature isn’t made obvious, it’s clear to the reader that he has powers that he uses to mete out justice to people who behave badly. He doesn’t just slay them quickly – each person meets their end in a way that is appropriate to their wrongdoing. 

It started as a simple short story that I wrote for Friday 13th last October. The cat kind of took over – did I ever and I wrote twelve more Friday stories between then and Halloween. 



And I hear you have a new release?

Yes, A Poet's Curse is my latest book of poetry - uncomfortable truths, observations about life, and unashamedly honest responses to hateful people make this collection of poems highly relatable and deeply, darkly satisfying.



What is your favourite cake?

Lemon Meringue Pie. Does that qualify as cake?


Absolutely! For those readers who are baking along, here is a recipe from the queen of baking, Mary Berry for her Lemon Meringue Pie

You can keep in touch with Joanne across social media:

Visit her website - www.jvlpoet.com
Like her on Facebook
Follow her on Twitter
Stalk her on Instagram
Pin her on Pinterest
Go googly with her on Google+
Read her blog
Listen to her writing musing

Join me next week when I will be having a slice of cake with indie author Jeff Provine, grilling them gently about their writing life and of course sharing their favourite cake.

If you would like to take part in A Slice of Cake With... please fill in the form found here. I'd be delighted to have you.


Claire Buss is a multi-genre writer and poet, completely addicted to cake. Find all her books on Amazon. Join the discussion in her Facebook group Buss's Book Stop.

3 comments: