Tuesday 17 July 2012

Fighting the B.O.G.O.F

Lunchtime is both a blessing and a curse.  Usually the morning has scrambled your brain enough to make you want to take a break, stretch your legs and get a breath of fresh air but here is where you can fall into dangerous eating traps.  Luckily for me there are mostly dirty fried chicken and curry shops near where I work - none of these are particularly tempting to me and the delicious Chinese takeaway usually doesn't open until around 2pm or whenever he feels like it.

The main food options for me are Tesco and Sainsburys - two of the biggest supermarkets in the UK.  The King and Queen of special offers like 6 doughnuts for 50p, multipacks of crisps at half price, biscuits, chocolate, bulk buy, super save, buy one get one free, three for two, save, save, save, eat, eat, eat.  For a mere fiver you can get a bag full of MSG, trans fats and more ingredients you can't pronounce then those you can.  Yet when you try to buy a healthy option it can cost you twice as much but it's harder to buy individual items.  I'm not sure why healthy food is always two or three times the price of unhealthy food or that supermarkets only stock large packs of items and not individual servings.  You'd think they would realise there was a market for individual portions of popular items.

Now I know you may throw salad bowls into my face but I direct you to the title of my blog.

It's tricky to resist these shiny offers in large supermarkets designed to suck you in to buying rubbish but I am pleased to report that day 2 of Operation F.I.D involved a trip to buy..... milk!  Yes, you heard it here first - just milk, no junk.  I was very impressed with my self control.  Put that together with a 12 mile bike ride, a Zumba session and high impact Step class and I'm thinking the balance may still be in the negative.  And then all that is left to do is make my lunch yummy enough that I forget the lure of the shiny shops and feel happy with my packed items. 


No comments:

Post a Comment